starting strength gym

Thread: Why not light RDL’s in place of Back Extensions.

Default Why not light RDL’s in place of Back Extensions.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently read your article “The Texas Method” on TNation from 11/03/10 and started TM this week.

On the light day it came time for the 5x10 of Back Extensions or Glute-Ham Raise. I have never gone to a gym that had a Glute-Ham Raise so that’s out and I really dislike Back Extensions. I hurt my back doing them once and feel like I cannot move my hips naturally on such a contraption.

Anyways I got to thinking, why not light RDLs in place of Back Extensions on the light day? It seems the only thing the light day is missing the upper back/trap stimulation that Deadlifts or Power cleans would usually give.

Do you have the book? PPST3?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you have the book? PPST3?
    I do have the book.

Just looked it over again and it seems what I was calling a back extension machine is not what you're referring to when speak of back extensions (with the Roman Chair). The back extensions with Roman Chair are probably wonderful, but I unfortunately don't have access to one. Guess I'll just eat worms.

Actually even the real back extensions on the Roman Chair look like something that would bother my back. I think I'm one of those people who should stay away from back extensions and situps. You've mentioned they may be more trouble then they're worth for some people. The RDLs feel real good. I think I'll stick with those.

It's light day. RDLs are fine, SLDLs are fine. Just keep them light.