starting strength gym
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Can a girl do SS without becoming a hog

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_217 View Post
    I noticed that a lot of guys and gals that do SS on here are libertarian, and I know you yourself are one as well. Do you think there is a correlation between people who strength train and want to live in a free society?
    You're new here, so I'll break it down for you:

The day you Squat 400lbs Rip sends you the complete works of Ayn Rand.
    By the time 500 rolls around you're a card carrying libertarian. (There is actually a physiological ceiling on your strength expression that can only be breached with the proper political views - look for a detailed explanation in Practical Programming 4th edition.)
    By 600 you go full blown anarchist. You abandon the idea of legal property on the grounds that a legal code of property rights implies the existence of a state to enforce said legal code- and thus taxes.
    By 650 you own your own patch of jungle (or an island) and declare a return to a state of nature: a Rousseauian paradise. You have reached enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Ball View Post

THAT is supposed to be a reward!?

By the time 500 rolls around you're a card carrying libertarian. (There is actually a physiological ceiling on your strength expression that can only be breached with the proper political views - look for a detailed explanation in Practical Programming 4th edition.)
    By 600 you go full blown anarchist. You abandon the idea of legal property on the grounds that a legal code of property rights implies the existence of a state to enforce said legal code- and thus taxes.
    By 650 you own your own patch of jungle (or an island) and declare a return to a state of nature: a Rousseauian paradise. You have reached enlightenment.
    By revealing these secrets you remove much of the surprise and wonder of the journey. The Bundy's were acquitted, my squat just jumped 20 pounds. Freedom gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    THAT is supposed to be a reward!?
    What, you don't like trains?

Quote Originally Posted by cmynhier View Post
    What, you don't like trains?
    Having worked for the now defunct Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railroad as well as the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroads; I like trains just fine. Even though inhaling all those electromotive diesel exhaust fumes permanently impaired my sense of smell and taste.

But Ayn Rand was and is the precursor to the Pod People of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's like trying to eat liver because people tell you it's good for you. You still always gag on it because it's still repulsive.

I mean the real question is if a Hog can do SS without becoming a girl...

Considreing that lifters from communist Russia were the strongest one of the bunch, and to this day the most elite olympic lifters come from the leftovers from that block, i guess that after 800lb squats it starts to go in the other direction?

This reward structure does belie a good understanding of the tenants of individualism (property rights do not originate from the state). And I would agree with Hurling, you can be a perfectly good libertarian without having to wade through Rand, who is actually more useful to liberals as a bludgeon to beat libertarians over the head with, rather than being a useful primer. I would submit that the people who gravitate to a program that works, and is difficult, are self selected to be more inclined towards individualism than average. Of course, we do seem to have some notable exceptions. Being able to think clearly in one field of endeavor probably makes it more likely that the tendency will extend to other areas, but it is by no means a given.

I think that most people that talk about Ayn Rand's most notable work, Atlas Shrugged, have no idea what it really is. They understand the general idea maybe, but the book is over 1000 pages. The audiobook is 63 hours.

I think the United States is screwed up now because there is too many thin and weak men, and too many fat and weak women in the country.

Strength training has helped me in school even by focusing and grinding through assignments. I think that I would've really benefited more in high school had my gym teachers had the slightest idea of how to train athletes.

I go to one of the largest Gold's Gyms in the country, it is the size of a Walmart, and I look around while I'm working out.... there is nobody in that entire place that has a clue what they're doing. There is two squat racks in the entire gym...

They have a basketball court, dancing rooms, biking rooms, pool room, sauna, steamroom, hot tub, 50 treadmills, hundreds of various machines, cable work stations, etc. But two squat racks..... insanity.

It is an incredibly small percentage of the human population that knows what strength training is, I like that. Gives me a big advantage.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_217 View Post
    I think that most people that talk about Ayn Rand's most notable work, Atlas Shrugged, have no idea what it really is. They understand the general idea maybe, but the book is over 1000 pages. The audiobook is 63 hours.

I think the United States is screwed up now because there is too many thin and weak men, and too many fat and weak women in the country.

Strength training has helped me in school even by focusing and grinding through assignments. I think that I would've really benefited more in high school had my gym teachers had the slightest idea of how to train athletes.

I go to one of the largest Gold's Gyms in the country, it is the size of a Walmart, and I look around while I'm working out.... there is nobody in that entire place that has a clue what they're doing. There is two squat racks in the entire gym...

They have a basketball court, dancing rooms, biking rooms, pool room, sauna, steamroom, hot tub, 50 treadmills, hundreds of various machines, cable work stations, etc. But two squat racks..... insanity.

It is an incredibly small percentage of the human population that knows what strength training is, I like that. Gives me a big advantage.
    This makes me feel lucky I go to a Gold's with 5 squat racks and a deadlift platform. While most people have no clue what they're doing, we definitely attract a number of strong powerlifters and other strength athletes. Interesting to hear about so much equipment variation even within the same franchise.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast