starting strength gym

Thread: Flexibility requirements for squat bar position

Default Flexibility requirements for squat bar position

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark/ coaches,
    I have posted before about my shoulder issues/ surgeries (full thickness tear/3 repairs/subscapular nerve trapped/damaged, last surgery feb 8th) and I'm finally mentally ready to put a back on my back again.

I'm currently belt squatting but figured now would be a good time to re-learn the squat and drill the mechanics. I still get aches and nerve pains which is why I'm taking this rehab super slow.

Yesterday I tried to get into squat position and I was so tight and couldn't get into position without my wrists bending. Not even close

I still do my stretches from therapy, external with a stick, sleeper and wall stretches for 5 minutes each.

Today I tried again, starting with my grip out to the collars, I can gradually walk my grip inward some but eventually my wrists bend and it's nowhere close to where you suggest.

I am assuming the problem is flexibility, if that is correct do you have stretching suggestions or suggestions on to approach the bar?

Thank you
    John

If the therapy stretches are not working, I suggest you ask the therapist why. I do not prescribe them, and I don't remember suggesting that you wait a long time to do a very slow rehab.

Don't know if posting videos is allowed or not, but I started doing the band warm up that is shown in this video from Alan Thrall and it allows me to get under the bar. I have some issues with my left shoulder (need to get it checked) that make doing anything needing mobility a challenge.
    REDUCE SHOULDER PAIN w/ This Simple Drill - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If the therapy stretches are not working, I suggest you ask the therapist why. I do not prescribe them, and I don't remember suggesting that you wait a long time to do a very slow rehab.
    Thanks Mark, I'll ask, I was not sure if those particular stretches were enough or if others were required to get into squat position.

Yesterday evening after some pushing, the position was much better. It may just be a matter of doing a couple of sets before each workout. Sleepless night, but still less pain than last month and before.

You absolutely did not suggest the slow rehab. I had two retears occur (7mo post op mark on 1st, 5mo mark on 2nd) so this time I decided to take it super slow. Surgeon said the tissue was a mess and does not have much to work with.

Thanks again

Thank you for the link Old Coach, I'll check it out!