starting strength gym
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 whiskeys for beginners

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course the peat is key to the flavor. But peat is not "made."
    As someone who spent a large part of his childhood summers turning, stacking and transporting peat I can confirm its natural origins.

Default More on whisk(e)y: ice and water.

Hi Rip,

I learned never to waste a good Islay malt by putting ice in it--just a few drops of water will open it up nicely. This also applies (for me) to Highland malts as well.

However, since I am a Philistine, I like a blended scotch on the rocks, sometimes with a twist. I also like a good Old Fashioned (Rye, no fruit).

With rye and bourbon, I'm inclined to have them with ice, but I suspect I may be in error. In your experience, is whiskey neat, with water as needed, always the best way to go, or are we just discussing personal preferences here?

Thank you for looking--not only are you changing lives with the barbell, you're changing lives at the Bar.

Tom

I think ice goes in mixed drinks, so for an Old Fashioned it's fine. I see no point in drinking blended whisky, so ice in that would be none of my business. But good whiskey needs to be warm to smell effectively, so making it cold with your imprecise diluting mechanism would be counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think ice goes in mixed drinks, so for an Old Fashioned it's fine. I see no point in drinking blended whisky, so ice in that would be none of my business. But good whiskey needs to be warm to smell effectively, so making it cold with your imprecise diluting mechanism would be counterproductive.
    Excellent, thank you.

I like to put in an ice cube for a few seconds and then take it out. But I'm a rank novice whiskey wise so this may pass as my palate becomes more knowledgeable.

I saw a bottle of Knob Creek in Matt's cabinet during the podcast. How do you rate that? How do you feel about Glenfiddich?

I do not drink Jim Beam products, and I usually do not drink Speyside whiskys.

Rip, could you explain to me why Basil Hayden's is so damn expensive but only 80 proof?Its $42 here where I live on average, that seems kind of high to me for an 80 proof bourbon.

Do you mix whiskey with anything?

Please advise

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    Rip, could you explain to me why Basil Hayden's is so damn expensive but only 80 proof?Its $42 here where I live on average, that seems kind of high to me for an 80 proof bourbon.
    Because it's a Jim Beam product. Don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by SquatPressPull View Post
    Do you mix whiskey with anything?
    Water, to 80 proof.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast