starting strength gym
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 whiskeys for beginners

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    They released a Nadurra line. Cask strength natural color. I have a bottle of the Oloroso finish whisky. It's got merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I haven't bought a bottle of Glenlivet in about 40 years. The pros use it for cooking.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    I had a Kirin yesterday at a bar and it was great. Sweet then powerful and a long lasting after taste.
    What is Kirin? All I know about is the beer.

What is Kirin? All I know about is the beer.
    Same here. Barman just received it and recommended it.

Let's try again. Is this a whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Glenlivet is chill filtered, Carmel colored, and 80 proof. That's 3 strikes for me.

I also believe Macallan is chill filtered, carmel colored, and 80 proof.

At least Glenmorangie 10 is 86 proof.
    I would have to say if you're judging the quality of whiskey by the proof and lack of coloring then you're definitely missing out on a lot of good whiskey. Then again, maybe you add more water to your scotch than the rest of us so higher initial content makes sense :-P

The argument over coloring is as old as whiskey itself.

... The pros use it for cooking.
    I gotta do it here ....

[
    For Beginners (Title!!).
    Palate definitely changes a lot over years and there are definitely bottles I wouldn't touch anymore that I thought were decent when I started! A beginner typically doesn't want something on the rich end of the spectrum.

Always good to have all different kinds of opinions when talking to beginners as it helps them learn the terminology and different processes that can affect all aspects of a whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by marti View Post
    I would have to say if you're judging the quality of whiskey by the proof and lack of coloring then you're definitely missing out on a lot of good whiskey. Then again, maybe you add more water to your scotch than the rest of us so higher initial content makes sense :-P

The argument over coloring is as old as whiskey itself.
    I will like any whiskey I want for whatever reason I want. And the opposite will be true. I also don't like Glenlevit 12. I do like Glenlevit Nadurra.

I do have 80 proof whiskey at home. Laphroaig Select. I enjoy that bottle. I like how the flavors develop. A few drops of water do wonders to open that whiskey up.

That's exactly the point I'm getting across and it's that beginners don't even know why they do or don't like it other than it feels good, be it whiskey or anything. The good stimulus comes first, then if they bother to invest the time they eventually figure out why, but at first they just know they like it!

As an experienced drinker you understand you don't like it and why, but if the beginner never tried it because Joe said it's no good then they miss the opportunity of understanding why and gaining knowledge (and no that argument doesn't apply to every activity in life!).

But either way my comments are meant as friendly banter which is why the :-P, there's a million ways to skin a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by marti View Post
    That's exactly the point I'm getting across and it's that beginners don't even know why they do or don't like it other than it feels good, be it whiskey or anything. The good stimulus comes first, then if they bother to invest the time they eventually figure out why, but at first they just know they like it!

As an experienced drinker you understand you don't like it and why, but if the beginner never tried it because Joe said it's no good then they miss the opportunity of understanding why and gaining knowledge (and no that argument doesn't apply to every activity in life!).

But either way my comments are meant as friendly banter which is why the :-P, there's a million ways to skin a cat!
    Stop with the feelings. I'm not a fan of Glenlevit 12 or Glenfiddich 12. I think they are too expensive for their flavor. I think Macallan and Oban are overpriced for what they offer. Now, if somebody is ok with it, more power to them.

I like Jack Daniel's Single Barrell offerings. I understand that others may disagree, but that's cool. Let's just banter and drink our drams.

But let's also agree, Macallan is overpriced for the original nature of this thread.

starting strength coach development program
    We should stop kidding ourselves that we are some kind of sophisticated experts in taste (for whiskey or anything else). They say there is no accounting for taste. They say that because it is true. It is also true that our tastes develop and change over time. That doesn't mean we learn to like only the best. It simply means our tastes change over time. When our tastes develop further and we no longer love what we currently love, that won't mean that particular whisky is now only good for cooking.

That said, I like almost all of the whiskey's the coaches recommend here, and dislike most of the ones they don't recommend. But not all of either. Try the recommendations that you can afford, and enjoy what you enjoy.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast