starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boxing and Weight Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As a novice boxer who had previous martial art and sparring ability, I found myself regularly sparring Mark Demori. I'm sure we can all agree he wasn't on the same level as David Haye but rest assured he was an absolute monster in the local gym. I fractured my nose and eye socket in these Saturday morning melees until a blown disc took me out of the play for a while. That was when I first did starting strength and took my squat from 60kg to 140kg before going back to boxing. I remember Mark commenting to me on how he could no longer push me around the ring and showing me the scuff marks on his head from just blocking my punches after that layoff. Increased size and strength increases power, it's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Right. And look at their program. Very sad, we have a long way to go.
    Understood. Just sharing that even triathletes are (finally) starting to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Sure, I just find your unwillingness to acknowledge diminishing returns for strength more than very rarely kind of odd. It's not as if people will think you dismiss strength just because you state the rare scenario for when you believe maintenance is good enough more than every other year.
    Have you read the website long?
    Rippetoe has never suggested lifting doesn't have diminishing returns. Quite the opposite. He has made explicit suggestions on how strong people should be for their sport. Crowder told Rippetote he did BJJ. Rip asked him his size. Then Rip told him how much he should be squatting.
    Obviously everyone in this forum understands there are diminishing returns from strength training. Nobody thinks a figure skater would be best served in their sport by focusing primarily on a 1,000lb deadlift.
    Are you trolling?

I did some boxing in high school.
    I got stronger. Once stronger, I could punch much harder. As well, when my arms were hit by a sparring partner they didn't hurt as much.

Jon Jones recently talked about his first fight after taking up powerlifting, where Jones want from minimal lifting experience to squatting 500lbs.
    His first fight after powerlifting, against Ovince St Preux, even though Jones had lots of ring rust and his rhythm looked a little off, Jones broke Preux's arm via kicks. Breaking an opponent's arm that way was a first for Jones, something that a weaker Jones had never been able to accomplish. Jones got strong and his striking got stronger. This stuff isn't complicated.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    it's silly to assume there aren't legitimate reasons for that beyond inertia.
    How is it a wrong assumption that boxers are doing the monkey fucking the football version of weight training when near every example you can find, even in sports that recognize the demand for more strength and try to use weight to get there, are doing it that way. People doing smart weight training is the minority in sports.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456