starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hip tendonitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It would be nice to get a precise answer to my precise question. You've always been a pain in the ass on this board, and now you're letting this attitude prevent us from helping an older woman.
    Sorry - is your precise question for a more specific diagnosis or for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Sorry - is your precise question for a more specific diagnosis or for something else?
    If it's for a more specific diagnosis, I don't have the information. I posted everything I know and, unfortunately, she does not want to ask the doctor.

That's unfortunate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Any suggestions for dealing with hip tendonitis?

Older woman has pain in her lower glutes which gets worse walking and other activities. Squats and deadlifts don't make it worse, lying down for a bench press is painful, hip movement for press 2.0 is often a problem. She's stopped benching and is doing strict presses.

She thought it was hamstring tendonitis, but an orthopedic surgeon diagnosed it as hip tendonitis. X-ray was clean, but probing the middle of the right glute caused pain. He gave her a cortisone shot and recommended physical therapy - stretching, strengthening and local modalities 2-3x week for 8 weeks.

I'm familiar with your suggestions for elbow tendonitis (worked for me), but haven't seen anything for the hip or glute.

How can we get her better, preferably avoiding physical therapy?
    There is so much information missing from this post, it is hard to even begin. With the information you provided, the precise diagnosis is "right hip pain". Tendonitis is a horribly over-utilized diagnosis, almost getting to the point of being exclusively used as a diagnosis of exclusion.

Let's start with this: age of patient, chronicity of symptoms, presentation of pain (albeit, your description of pain in lower glutes gets worse with walking and other activities is remarkably specific)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12