starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast #44: Back Pain with Will Morris DPT

Default Podcast #44: Back Pain with Will Morris DPT

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This has been such an informative series on back pain. I know I've said thank you multiple times already, but thank you again for another great talk.

I really liked the distinction between "Show me how you would lift something/pick something up" vs "Show me how you deadlift". The first statement essentially eliminates the psychological baggage that typically comes with the word "deadlift" or "weight lifting". It also aligns nicely with the idea of selling people on the Why and the How before selling them on the What.

Side note: I understand it isn't always feasible, but I enjoyed the longer-than-usual time slot of the podcast.

Around 36:55, he listed, "Nick, who's in physical therapy school now." Nick D?

D'Agostino.

Was Mac Ward's injury that induced foot drop considered mechanical back pain or was there another mechanism involved where prescribing squats and deadlifts was the correct call? I guess I'm trying to understand why lifting was a solution for that seemingly neurological problem. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

Mac's case was neurological. As it turns out, lifting is effective therapy for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    Was Mac Ward's injury that induced foot drop considered mechanical back pain or was there another mechanism involved where prescribing squats and deadlifts was the correct call? I guess I'm trying to understand why lifting was a solution for that seemingly neurological problem. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.
    There was no prescription for squats and deadlifts. Mac decided to do that on his own because he's a bad ass motherfucker and he is tough as shit. The loading of the spine in a bit of thoracic and lumbar extension can help to reduce a herniation. In his case, it worked beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    There was no prescription for squats and deadlifts. Mac decided to do that on his own because he's a bad ass motherfucker and he is tough as shit.
    Well Mac seems like a smart dude, but he didn't just get the idea out of thin air. And Mac's doctor did sign off on his rehab attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    The loading of the spine in a bit of thoracic and lumbar extension can help to reduce a herniation. In his case, it worked beautifully.
    This is what I was wondering - thank you. If someone walked into your place with Mac's symptoms, would you recommend squats and deadlifts? Listening to your podcast, it sounded like he'd be sent for a surgical consult. Why and when are squats and deadlifts a good idea for neurological symptom treatment? Only for bad ass motherfuckers? Or is this one of those things that you can never officially recommend/prescribe?

Sorry for so many questions. I have a genuine interest in this subject.

Mark, you mentioned in the podcast that you've been having back pain for a few weeks. Have you heard about "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life" by Robin McKenzie? McKenzie recommends some simple stretches to quickly relieve acute back pain and maintaining a good posture throughout the day to prevent back pain. You don't seem to have good sitting posture on quite a few of your podcasts.

I know Mark has said on occasion that stretching is useless, UNLESS, there is a range of motion problem. Back pain can cause that range of motion problem.

starting strength coach development program
    There is no such thing as "a pain-free life."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast