starting strength gym

Thread: New: An audio file -- The Real Purpose of Steroids

Default New: An audio file -- The Real Purpose of Steroids

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Coach,

In the recording you seem to suggest that athletes are turning to steroids rather than running a compound lift training programme, but how are they really getting strong without doing the lifts? Cyclists are notorious for steroid abuse but you have also said in the past that they are usually unwilling to engage in barbell training, so how are they getting stronger in the absence of an efficient weight training programme, do they just take the drugs and hope it improves their performance?

I really enjoyed this. It would be great if you released audio versions of all your articles. Something about the tone and inflection you use make them so much more entertaining.

I may be way off on the intention of your podcast, as I am prone to misinterpret intent. Aren't the purpose of steroids to shorten the recovery period? So the end goal is to get stronger. But like you say, you don't get stronger from lifting weights. You get stronger from recovering from lifting weights. The steroids help you recover faster.

To summarize, if coaches would program strength optimally, the necessity for steroids would decline. I would argue that athletes would still seek to become stronger still, and therefor continue to use steroids. They would work just as well or perhaps better in an optimal program.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
    In the recording you seem to suggest that athletes are turning to steroids rather than running a compound lift training programme, but how are they really getting strong without doing the lifts? Cyclists are notorious for steroid abuse but you have also said in the past that they are usually unwilling to engage in barbell training, so how are they getting stronger in the absence of an efficient weight training programme, do they just take the drugs and hope it improves their performance?
    They aren't getting really strong. They are getting a little stronger, they like that, so they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I really enjoyed this. It would be great if you released audio versions of all your articles.
    In process now.

Aren't the purpose of steroids to shorten the recovery period?
    You think this is what Barry Bonds's "trainer" told him?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    To summarize, if coaches would program strength optimally, the necessity for steroids would decline. I would argue that athletes would still seek to become stronger still, and therefor continue to use steroids. They would work just as well or perhaps better in an optimal program.
    Until an athlete hits a level of diminishing returns with increased strength....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In process now.
    Cool! I enjoy listening to the presentations, interviews, and podcasts during my lifting sessions, so this will be swell.

We're one step closer to CybeRip (R) from the newly reformed Aasgaard Corporation. Soon, we will be able to download a digital copy of your brain onto a camera-equiped quad drone, hovering around our squat racks, repeating "hip drahve," "shove your knees out," and "stop being a pussy." Runs on whiskey, cattle prod attachment standard.