starting strength gym

Thread: Added Meniscal Stress from Deep (A2G) Squats?

Default Added Meniscal Stress from Deep (A2G) Squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Can you verify the legitimacy of the finding in this study that deep back squats put more stress on the meniscus than front squats, and also that deep, back, ass to grass squats pose the greatest risk of injury to the meniscus? Link below. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6SoO0Ds2HHl8Mw

I'm not going to read this study. Excerpt the part you want to talk about and paste it into your reply.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I just browsed it and didn't read that closely, but the clear take-home message from the paper was that for healthy individuals, deep squatting (high-bar, low-bar, or front squatting) produces torque on the knee joint that is well under its maximum capability--and, therefore, warnings of deep squatting causing damage to the knees is "largely unwarranted." It also notes that the torque on the ACL is lower for a low-bar squat than a high-bar squat because of the additional hamstring contraction.
    Speaking of which, I thought this was a really interesting part:

In a study by Toutoungi et al. (70), the highest ACL force when squatting with heels on the ground was approximately 95 N, equating to only approximately 6% of the ultimate strength of a young, healthy person’s ACL. Stress on the ACL during flexion is significantly alleviated by contraction of the hamstrings, which exert a posteriorly directed force on the tibia and thus share in the burden of reducing anterior translation (16,38).
    I seem to remember reading a very similar claim in the second edition of a book I read in 2011.