starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Platform Video: Box squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    He's not a big fat fatty, but he's fat. He's 280lb, 5'10", probably 40% bodyfat right now and he can only squat 95lbX5 about 2in above parallel.

He has a coaching problem.

I'll let him know. Thanks.

Just to share my experience with the box squat:

At some point or another, I developed some hip pain (knees sliding forward related) from squatting incorrectly. After some reading, I managed to get a better handle on my form issues, but eventually the spot just became so prone to re-injury that I wanted to get around it for good. I came to box squats.

I started using box squats exclusively, although more of a blend of the method detailed here with the Westside-style box squat. I've had wonderful results and have been pain-free. I can personally attest to the fact that if you rock too far back, your lower spine will undergo serious compression in comparison with the normal squat, especially if you do a full dead-stop on the box. This isn't a huge deal in my experience, IF your back is strong enough for it. However, you can just do a "small rock" and avoid most of that compression while still getting a little extra help out of the hole from the rock.

I programmed box squats the same exact way I would normal squats. I ran them on a 4-day TM routine from 320x5 to 420x5 with zero issues. Honesty, from a form perspective, box squats are easier IMO, especially if you don't have a coach or worthwhile people around you telling you you're fucking up. Call it cheating if you want, but I think the box squat is an acceptable replacement for strength development in lieu of a problem-free standard back squat. I just don't really have a good reason to return to the standard squat, as I'm not competing in powerlifting, and my numbers are still climbing.

Also another thing I noticed, and perhaps this is just me, but from a cardio perspective, box squats are harder. Perhaps this is due to longer time under a valsalva maneuver. You'll adapt quickly. Just sharing my experience here, not trying to disagree with any previous points made about the box squat.

Rip, can we see a video of someone doing these with their work weight? I notice Carmen had the bar roughly over her toes (understandable during an un-weighted demonstration). It would be nice to see the fully-loaded bar/lifter system in balance over the middle of the foot during the box squat. It would also be nice to see the same lifter squatting both with, and without, the box, to compare mechanics.

Another question: would squatting "box" style (slightly wider stance, more vertical shins, flatter back angle), without the box, allowing the stretch reflex, be a better way to squat since it's more hip-dominant? Or, does squatting normally bring more muscle mass into the lift, since, with a slightly narrower stance and slightly more vertical back angle, the quads contribute more to the lift than they do in the box squat?

Here's my squat: Squat 305 12.13.16 - YouTube

I have a longer torso relative to my leg length than most, so I can't really get any more horizontal. (You called me on my more vertical back angle at the Seattle seminar a couple of years ago, and Stef and Austin worked with me a little more, too, but here's where my squat is). I have lingering slight soreness in both knees. Would box squats be appropriate for me, or do I have a coaching issue?

Thank you,

Tom

starting strength coach development program
    Coaching issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12