starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current shoe recommendation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The current shoe situation is far from ideal. Romaleo 2s or Reebok Lifter Plus are probably the best available for what we do, but are harder to find now that the Romaleo 3s and Reebok Legacy have come out. But if you look around enough, you can probably still find them before they're gone.

It's a damn shame there's no really ~1/2 inch heeled shoe available anymore. The Rogue Do-Win half inch shoes that I got in 2013 aren't nearly as well built as the Romaleo 2s but if I had to choose between the two for SS style training, I'd choose the Do-Wins.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Rip to design a shoe. He can sell it as a package deal with the B&R bar. I just ask that it has a double metatarsal strap.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    FYI, if the material is not torn open, eyelets can be replaced with larger ones. My cobbler added eyelets to my Do-Wins, and one needed to be larger. See the second from the top.
    This is precisely the problem - the material tore as well. Not completely, but you can see below that it might not be fixable. I have yet to take my lazy ass to a cobbler, but it feels a shame to discard the pair because of this alone.

unnamed.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Acosta View Post
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Rip to design a shoe. He can sell it as a package deal with the B&R bar. I just ask that it has a double metatarsal strap.
    He has indeed specified the ideal shoe in another thread. Something involving laces down to the toe, IIRC.

Adipowers are now available in all black.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFifty View Post
    This is precisely the problem - the material tore as well. Not completely, but you can see below that it might not be fixable. I have yet to take my lazy ass to a cobbler, but it feels a shame to discard the pair because of this alone.

unnamed.jpg
    A heavy bead of stitching across that tear, and a bigger eyelet, might extend the life of those shoes. Maybe even with a bit of 'backing' material over the tear. You probably wouldn't notice the little extra bulk.

I have the Adidas PowerPerfect 2 and like them. I like them better than the Do-Wins they replaced. I think the heel could be lowered by a cobbler fairly easily. It looks like just a few sites still sell them in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The current shoe situation is far from ideal. Romaleo 2s or Reebok Lifter Plus are probably the best available for what we do, but are harder to find now that the Romaleo 3s and Reebok Legacy have come out. But if you look around enough, you can probably still find them before they're gone.

It's a damn shame there's no really ~1/2 inch heeled shoe available anymore. The Rogue Do-Win half inch shoes that I got in 2013 aren't nearly as well built as the Romaleo 2s but if I had to choose between the two for SS style training, I'd choose the Do-Wins.
    Hear hear. Just recently I recommended some cheap, entry level shoes for quasi serious lifters whom I've got running the SS programme. It's really hard to find adequate shoes these days, not only because many of the current models sport a heel size that is 3/4 inch or more (and are a serious investment that I don't see certain lifters make when they "can just lift on 10$ flats"), but also because many of the links to older models found on this board redirected me to empty store pages with the message that the shoes were no longer available. So I had to recommend Adidas Powerlift 2.0 for pricing (discounted because the 3.0 were being released) and a decent heel, even though I read a post about the squishy sole at high weights. I figure the shoes will get them far and they'll decide to get the more "hardcore" options when their lifts reflect their serious nature. Hard to get young people like me to spend 200$ on a pair of shoes

Personally, I bought the Adipowers 2 years ago and they've held up beautifully. But I have big feet, so any socks that are thick enough will disallow a tighter fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    People have commented about this.
    The wait or the non-warranty?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It's a damn shame there's no really ~1/2 inch heeled shoe available anymore.
    Titan Contenders.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast