starting strength gym
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Current shoe recommendation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
    We're not interested in absolute heel height, but effective heel height - the difference between the thickness under the ball of the foot and the heel. This should be consistent between sizes.
    What I was getting at is that effective heel height produces a different foot angle if the height is the same but the size is different.

It does -- a little bit -- but this is getting pretty picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It does -- a little bit -- but this is getting pretty picky.
    without a doubt.......but since I'm spewing air out of my pie hole, with 0 personal experience.....
    If my understanding of effective heel height is correct.....the difference in height between the heel and the ball of the foot......

my foot is 14 inches. the distance between the ball of the foot and the center of the heel is 7.5 inches.

a .75 inch heal creates an angle of 5.71 degrees
    a .5 inch effective heel height creates an angle of 3.81

for a size 10 shoe, assuming that the foot is built the same as mine. the distance between ball of foot and heel would be 5.35 inches.

a .75 inch heel would create an angle of 7.98
    a .50 inch heel would create an angle of 5.33

I will shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I'm a noob. So I am looking at all these references to heel hight. What about size....? a size 9 shoe with a 3/4 inch sole is different from a side 14 shoe with a 3/4 inch heal. What is the assumed size when the heal hight is mentioned.?
    I'm sure I remember seeing the Romaleos having a variable heel height based on the shoe size, but all others seem to be uniform across all the shoe sizes. If someone wants to do some trig to see if this has a notable effect on the foot angle then fine, but my guess is that it doesn't make much difference.

It doesn't.

I have pretty shallow arches in my foot. Does this influence the choice of my shoes? I'm thinking of buying the adidas power perfect 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1911 View Post
    I just upgraded to Adipower 2.0s from Do-Wins. Size 10 Do-Wins were a slightly loose fit while size 10.5 Adipowers are a snug fit. The Adidas shoes feel quite a bit more stable to me as well but so far I only have one session in them. I have no experience with any other brand of lifting shoe.
    Similar experience here; Rogue Do-Wins in size 10 fit well. Adipowers in size 10 are wearable but pretty tight, the toe box is much smaller. I might get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyBeans View Post
    I have pretty shallow arches in my foot. Does this influence the choice of my shoes? I'm thinking of buying the adidas power perfect 2's.
    I have a similar question. Got flat feet with special made orthotics. Thing is they're made from squishy material. I wear em with lifting but they degrade kinda fast that way and it's not optimal in lifting shoes.

Does anyone have experience with online/cheap in-soles, that'll hold up with lifting? There's plenty out there but i can't find anything made from hard material.

P.s. Tasty beans, i have the powerlift 2.0. They're cheap, which is the only advantage. They do however have a slight built in arch support. But if you already wear insoles like me that's not what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If you can find the Nike Romaleo 2, it is an excellent shoe.
    I was able to order some directly from Nike. I squatted in them last night. They felt very solid. A big difference from the Reebok Nanos I was using previously. Walking the bar back from the rack was little weird in them but I'll get used to it. I also need to figure out which insole to use.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    P.s. Tasty beans, i have the powerlift 2.0. They're cheap, which is the only advantage. They do however have a slight built in arch support. But if you already wear insoles like me that's not what you want.
    I have insoles, but they're old and I haven't used them that much, although I probably should . But they might be too squishy for lifting as you mentioned.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast