starting strength gym

Thread: High squats and being stuck on my deadlift

Default High squats and being stuck on my deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,
    I'm a 53 yo male, 6'2", #187(yes I'm trying to add weight), who has been training for 8 months. I was pretty untrained my whole life (skier, biker, p90x) but just got serious about strength. Through my linear progression, I got my squat up to #270 3x5. I had good progress on the deadlift but I'm stuck at #290 1x5 and can't seem to move up. I recently video'd my lifts and saw that my squat was 3 to 5 inches high. I'm in the process of deloading my squat to a weight I can get below parallel and moving back up with an emphasis on getting deep each rep. Do you think my high squats and being stuck on deadlift are related? Grip and form don't seem to be the issue.

You don't think a 5-inch-high squat is a form problem that may bleed over into other lifts? And really, 6'2" at 187???

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNedPepper View Post
    I recently video'd my lifts and saw that my squat was 3 to 5 inches high. I'm in the process of deloading my squat to a weight I can get below parallel and moving back up with an emphasis on getting deep each rep.
    Oh...the dreaded video that doesn't lie. Yep. I did that one too. Had to deload at about the same weight. I think I went all the way down to 200. It was a baaaaaaad day in the gym. It didn't take that long to get my weights back up.

Keep pulling and squatting. You'll get there. If I can do it you can too. The most important part of the program is showing up in the gym.

Thanks for the encouragement. Although being mocked by Rip is badge of honor I will wear proudly, a little positive feedback goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNedPepper View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. Although being mocked by Rip is badge of honor I will wear proudly, a little positive feedback goes a long way.
    Rip is hard to figure out at first. But I know this--if he is talking to you, he likes you. He is blunt because life is short and he won't waste his life on people who won't listen. The more you listen the more he talks.

All of us have been on the receiving end of his wit--usually deservedly so.

Keep pulling. Keep squatting. Keep walking through that gym door.