starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Leg Length Discrepancy and the Shim

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    By the "top" plane of the knees I assume you mean the horizontal plane. The shim handles that. I'm referring to the frontal plane when I say that the staggered stance levels the pelvis.
    Sorry I don't mean to drag this out but in the case of the femur being short and a shim is placed to level the pelvis, the horizontal plane would not be level with identical ankle angles, correct? I would assum the staggered stance would make one ankle a little bit more acute.

Side not: should a staggered stance ever be used for a deadlift?

I don't know what "durometer" means.
    Here you go:

Choosing skateboard wheel durometer

Durometer measures the skateboard wheel's hardness. Most manufacturers use the Durometer A Scale, which is a 100-point scale that quantifies how hard a wheel is. The higher the number, the harder the wheel. The average wheel durometer is 99a. Certain manufacturers may use the B Scale, which measures 20 points lower and allows the scale an extra 20 points for harder wheels. For example, an 80b durometer is the same hardness as a 100a durometer. Such skateboard wheels have a wider and more accurate hardness range.

Generally speaking, harder wheels are faster, and softer wheels are slower but offer more grip. Softer wheels are better suited to street skating; harder wheels are better for smooth surfaces, such as skate parks. Some companies even specially design their wheels for a specific use. For instance, Bones STF Formula and Spitfire F1 Street Burners are designed specifically for street terrain, while Bones SPF Formula and Spitfire F1 Park Burners are designed for park terrain.

Here are some general guidelines for wheel durometer.
    Skateboard Wheel Durometer
    78a-87a Soft wheel good for rough surfaces, longboards, or street boards that need lots of grip to easily roll over cracks and pebbles. Designed for smooth rides, cruising, longboards, hills, and rough surfaces.
    88a-95a Slightly harder and faster with a little less grip, but the grip's still good. Good for street and rough surfaces.
    96a-99a Nice speed and grip-- an all-around good wheel. Great for beginners skating street, skate parks, ramps,pools, and other smooth surfaces.
    101a + Hardest and fastest wheel with the least grip. Ineffective on slick and rough surfaces. These are pro wheels.
    83b-84b Wheels using the B scale are extremely hard, measuring 20 points lower than the the A Scale in order to allow the scale to extend another 20 points for harder wheels.

It is a quantitative measure of how hard something (a rubber or polymer in this case) is. For instance:

a. Shore 20A = Rubber Band
    b. Shore 40A = Pencil Eraser
    c. Shore 60A = Car Tire Tread
    d. Shore 70A* = Running Shoe Sole
    e. Shore 80A = Leather Belt
    f. Shore 100A = Shopping Cart Wheel

It's a measure of hardness, usually in elastic materials (as opposed to a Rockwell hardness tester for metals, etc). The higher the durometer rating, the harder the material. To give you a comparison, and auto tire is usually around a 70, while soft rubber will typically be around the 50 neighborhood.

So my answer to the questioner would be more towards 70+, and less towards 60-.

It's a measurement of hardness for soft rubber-like materials. For example, car tires are typically 70 "duro" and chewing gum is 20 duro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
    What durometer neoprene rubber do you suggest? I see 50a, 60a, and 70a available on Amazon.
    If you were shimming your shoe, you'd probably want the hardest rubber you can find so there's minimal compression.

Thanks, guys.

In the photos in the article it appears the girls left leg is longer and in the bottom of her squat the left leg externally rotates further than the right leg. Is that generally the case? I was told I had a shorter leg at a seminar and I noticed after watching videos of my squat the opposite was true (based only on my lowly observation). I assumed the possibility of the abductor muscles being weaker on the longer leg from the lack of correction from squatting like that for years and that causing the leg to externally rotate less. On heavier sets I haven even noticed my whole body rotates slightly towards the longer leg side. This being after I have been using a shim for a couple months. Again an assumption thats still hanging from the years of not correcting it.

I don't know if everybody's LLD causes the same movement pattern asymmetry.

Is it possible to get pain in the hip/SI-joint region on the short side after shimming? Is this just because the body isn't used to this way of being loaded and needs some time to adapt or is it a sign of something not being done right?

starting strength coach development program
    As I've mentioned a couple of times now, everybody reacts differently. You may have shimmed correctly or you may have over-corrected, and your reaction to the change may be pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast