starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Actual Shoulder Diagnosis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by khopkinsIM View Post
    Surprisingly, my doc is trying to steer me away from surgery.
    Mine too. He didn't seem to be a believer in much shoulder surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    By "partial tear" do you mean a partial-thickness tear?
    Yes. Here is the MRI reading language:

Focal, rim rent type partial-thickness articular surface tear of the supraspinatus is noted extending from the footprint. This measures approximately 7 mm in cross-section x 8 mm longitudinally.

This may scar down if you don't do anything stupid. But it will eventually be a problem if you don't have the bony anatomy cleaned up.

I had a prophylactic Mumford procedure done for my left shoulder for precisely this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    It will be, Mark. A subacromial impingement does not disappear by resting and neither does it get repaired by training, unfortunately. It's a very simple procedure with quick recovery, however. That is not nice to hear at first, but it's the truth.
    Thanks (and Mark also). I'm not worried about surgery itself, I was more worried after hearing that some surgeries need 6 weeks off work for recovery. As I'm self-employed, I'm encouraged to hear this one has a quick recovery.

I saw a physio yesterday who is an ex-rugby pro and at least looks like he trains. I'll give that a go for a few weeks and see how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Thanks (and Mark also). I'm not worried about surgery itself, I was more worried after hearing that some surgeries need 6 weeks off work for recovery. As I'm self-employed, I'm encouraged to hear this one has a quick recovery.
    What do you do at work?

I get the idea of a prophylactic Mumford procedure if you're already going to be opening it up. But what if that's the only thing you'd be doing?

More to the point: I had an MRI-diagnosed AC sprain (marrow edema), with a "tiny" osteophyte which in my opinion is probably what caused the thing in the first place. First flared up a year ago. I'm able to manage it more or less with periodic ibuprofen as well as topical NSAID gel and avoiding movements that make it pissed off. Am I really just delaying an inevitable Mumford procedure? More and more I feel like I just need to wait for the "right" time and then just do the damned thing.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    I get the idea of a prophylactic Mumford procedure if you're already going to be opening it up. But what if that's the only thing you'd be doing?

More to the point: I had an MRI-diagnosed AC sprain (marrow edema), with a "tiny" osteophyte which in my opinion is probably what caused the thing in the first place. First flared up a year ago. I'm able to manage it more or less with periodic ibuprofen as well as topical NSAID gel and avoiding movements that make it pissed off. Am I really just delaying an inevitable Mumford procedure? More and more I feel like I just need to wait for the "right" time and then just do the damned thing.
    Unless you remain very still, the bone spur will eventually poke a hole in the tendon. A small one, maybe not, but I'd monitor the symptoms rather closely because a Mumford procedure uncomplicated by a cuff tendon repair is a much easier deal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What do you do at work?
    IT Project Manager, so mostly typing at a desk all day. Shoulder is fine for that currently.

My worries were based on Rehab as described in pages like this:

Rotator cuff repair: after surgery care

I'm guessing/hoping though that isn't the operation I'd need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12