starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen saturation and recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is there something wrong with breathing hard after a set of deadlifts?
    Once I inadvertently let out my air (collapsing my Valsalva) on the way down from my 5th rep of a PR DL. Felt my back explode before the barbell was back on the ground and was tweaked for 3 weeks. Lesson learned. I'll take breathing hard to the point of feeling like I'm gonna pass out before doing letting myself do THAT again.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    SCIENCE.
    I have a friend who has been following this system for years as part of his professional preparation as a stuntman and now has the capacity to hold his breath for what, to me, seems an absurd length. I think you could imagine how the diligent training of this system could produce adaptations in buffering capacity that explains that improvement, that could potentially have some carry over to strength training akin to one of the mechanisms of creatine supplementation. But as you said, still not O2 related. And, more importantly, likely these improvements, if they exist, are likely very marginal.

I was told once by a boxing coach who had cornered for a world champion (i know doesn't mean he knows anything about physiology) to blow hard between rounds. As in breathe out with slight resistance. Not so much that it's like holding your breathe just enough to create some pressure in the lungs. It seemed to help recovery but maybe it was just because it was a way of controlling breathing. He said the pressure helped the gas exchange restore oxygen quicker. Maybe this wimhof stuff just having similar effect between sets.

Any doctors got an educated opinion if this is possible or if there's any benefit?

I've been doing the wim hof method for a few days now and maybe it is a placebo effect, but I feel that I recover faster.
    Also, in an interview with Joe Rogan, Wim stated he actually was able to increase the level of O2 saturation in the blood past what scientists considered to be 100%.
    It's not just that he is lowering CO2 and alkalizing the body.
    Wim Hof has a bunch of studies on him posted on his site in a pdf Wim Hof Platform - Join Our New Platform
    He has show in studies that he is basically able to control his immune response and inflammation and also did the study with a group of people he has trained and got the same results.
    Wim isnt really into fitness and strength training, so most of this is uncharted territory but from what i've been hearing/experiencing myself, it has some promising applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Adam Mitchell View Post
    I've been doing the wim hof method for a few days now and maybe it is a placebo effect, but I feel that I recover faster.
    Also, in an interview with Joe Rogan, Wim stated he actually was able to increase the level of O2 saturation in the blood past what scientists considered to be 100%.
    It's not just that he is lowering CO2 and alkalizing the body.
    "It is totes beyond science cuz the guy selling this shit said so in a podcast ZOMG!!!!"

This load of credulous shit is your first post? Fuck outta here shill.

On second thought, head down to E&P, we like your brand of shitpost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Thank you!
    I was beginning to doubt myself... (not).
    Conditioning is all well and good, but I would think the more conditioned and strong you are, the more you lift - and then you breathe as hard as you did when you lifted less in a weaker and less conditioned state.
    This. I do conditioning but am still often out of breath after a set. People around me seemed surprised that I can't talk immediately after a heavy set, almost as if that proves lifters are out of shape.

It's freaking hard work to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by PKShah View Post
    If I remember my respiratory physiology correctly, in a normal, healthy human, the most sensitive driver of respiration is not low blood oxygen levels, but elevated CO2 levels. The respiratory center in the brainstem is exquisitely sensitive to even minute changes in CO2. When you hold your breath, it's the elevated CO2 levels that compel you to breathe. With this in mind, hyperventilating is a way to lower blood CO2 levels to below normal, so you can tolerate a longer period of time without breathing. There are only two ways to "store more and more oxygen in your blood": increase the hemoglobin content of the blood (think altitude training or blood doping), or greatly increase the partial pressure of inspired air (like in a hyperbaric chamber).
    The OPs method sounds like sleep apnea to me.

In fact...according to my blood work, I accomplished the same via untreated sleep apnea. Treating it with a mouthpiece reduced my hemoglobin (and hematocrit) back down to normal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by greywar View Post
    "It is totes beyond science cuz the guy selling this shit said so in a podcast ZOMG!!!!"

This load of credulous shit is your first post? Fuck outta here shill.

On second thought, head down to E&P, we like your brand of shitpost there.
    Lol this is exactly why I have avoided forums for so long. Damn dude chill. I'm not saying it's beyond science, nor am I trying to sell anything. I was just saying that he made these statements in a podcast that seem to be consistent with the studies he refers to. Maybe you should get off your high horse and actually try it before writing it off as bullshit. I found the pdf I was referring to earlier:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c57...c22822292d.pdf

Okay, since you seem rather intent on posting this link (I deleted it yesterday), I'm going to go ahead and let the board see this shit. But I'm telling you, this is the wrong board for pop-science.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    This. I do conditioning but am still often out of breath after a set. People around me seemed surprised that I can't talk immediately after a heavy set, almost as if that proves lifters are out of shape.

It's freaking hard work to get stronger.
    I think everyone has this experience. Heavy squats and deadlifts are always very taxing no matter how good your conditioning is.

I do notice that after starting prowler work twice a week, I recover faster between sets and the sets feel less brutal, breathing/heartrate-wise, than before.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast