starting strength gym

Thread: Bertolotti Syndrome and SS program

Default Bertolotti Syndrome and SS program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you so much for what you're doing. I've done the SS training + GOMAD went from 145 pounds to 175 i like 4 months and proceeded to TM. It honestly changed my life.

I have a friend who has low back pain. The doctors told him he doesn't have any mechanical injury or anything but he has back pain. The doctors didn't find anything abnormal for the past 2 years. Now they came up with a theory that it's Bertolotti Syndrome.

Do you think SS program could help?

Thanks for the advice!

Why would a malformed vertebral segment be the subject of a "theory"? I don't think you have enough information.

If he's had X-ray and MRI imaging and they only have a theory it's Bertolotti's syndrome, they're guessing.

He's missing the obvious diagnosis: back pain. I thought we had covered this at some point on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would a malformed vertebral segment be the subject of a "theory"? I don't think you have enough information.
    If that's the case, should he do SS? Can it help eliminate the pain as the muscles around the spine get stronger?

If what's the case? That you don't have enough information, and neither do I?

@rip If he has Bertolotti Syndrome, can he do SS? Could it help eliminate the pain as the muscles around the spine get stronger?

@will That's exactly my point. Is this just another fancy name for low back pain? I've read all the back pain related articles here and that was exactly my argument => you have back pain, you need to get stronger so the muscles will hold the spine and the pain will go away. I'm trying to get advice here on whether Bertolotti Syndrome is somehing more serious. Can he do SS with it? Do you think it would help eliminate or reduce the pain? Has anyone had a trainee with this diagnosis before?

Thanks!

Read this:

Bertolotti's syndrome - Wikipedia

It can take several forms. It is probably best if he trains. But we don't know, because we don't have enough information to say. We haven't seen the guy, we don't know his medical history, we haven't seen his diagnosis, which could actually be measles for all we know. WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION.

Yes, I am putting unsuspecting wives and friend on this program. I took me 2 year to convince my wife, now I'm working on my friend. I'll try to get more info so we can figure this out. Thanks all!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sumavsky View Post
    @rip If he has Bertolotti Syndrome, can he do SS? Could it help eliminate the pain as the muscles around the spine get stronger?

@will That's exactly my point. Is this just another fancy name for low back pain? I've read all the back pain related articles here and that was exactly my argument => you have back pain, you need to get stronger so the muscles will hold the spine and the pain will go away. I'm trying to get advice here on whether Bertolotti Syndrome is somehing more serious. Can he do SS with it? Do you think it would help eliminate or reduce the pain? Has anyone had a trainee with this diagnosis before?

Thanks!
    Again, without additional information, I can't be definitive, however, I see plenty of people who have a diagnosis of transitional anatomy in the lumbosacral area and they train just fine. There is virtually no difference between being given a diagnosis of transitional anatomy (partial or complete sacralization or lumbarization) and a diagnosis of Bertolotti Syndrome, except BS scares people because it sounds bad.