starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Texas Method: Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Printed this out and added it to the toolbox.

Great article Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Agreed. And probably if I transitioned to HLM straight away, I might have progressed farther, even if at slower rate. But I was attracted to the charm of TM being a straight forward template as opposed to HLM which is more of a malleable guideline. I initially wanted to test the waters before I moved on to HLM , then I got addicted to ID PRs. Jordan Feigenbaum did suggest splitting the volume day, which I couldn't due to various reasons. I did try to incorporate lighter squats etc. but it was almost as if my brain has completely shut down to the concept of a barbell. Lesson learnt.

I posted out of curiosity if anybody in late 30s tried TM.
    I'm also curious. Did you feel beat up most of the time you were on TM? I hear horror stories, especially from the 35+ crowd (which I am in).

I'm an older lifter (53 yo) and I ran two cycles of TM and both times made good progress until I got injured between weeks 6 and 8. I'm currently running HLM (Garage Gym Warrior) and it is working beautifully although I do miss the weekly high of ID on TM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I'm also curious. Did you feel beat up most of the time you were on TM? I hear horror stories, especially from the 35+ crowd (which I am in).
    "Beat up all the time" pretty much sounds like it!

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    On a Monday after 5x5@405, I fell asleep, while in a meeting with our division VP.

While I was talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    On a Monday after 5x5@405, I fell asleep, while in a meeting with our division VP.

While I was talking.
    Hmmm, this doesn't sound conducive to studying well either. I'm an engineering student and need my brain functioning at 100%. Can't be sleeping through class or homework. Still, I am tempted to give TM a try once I've gotten through my LP just to say I've tried it.

I am currently "running out" the Texas Method after a 12 week phase 1. I only felt really beat up very recently which is why I am adjusting the intensity day. Also, I have a meet coming up in September. For me, how much I eat and how much sleep I get seem to be the biggest factors.

The key for me was to recognize overtraining symptoms and pull out assistance work immediately. The whole point is the main lifts, unless your in the Olympic lifts.

All of this comes from my reading of Practical Programming of course.

Agreed. And probably if I transitioned to HLM straight away, I might have progressed farther, even if at slower rate. But I was attracted to the charm of TM being a straight forward template as opposed to HLM which is more of a malleable guideline. I initially wanted to test the waters before I moved on to HLM , then I got addicted to ID PRs. Jordan Feigenbaum did suggest splitting the volume day, which I couldn't due to various reasons. I did try to incorporate lighter squats etc. but it was almost as if my brain has completely shut down to the concept of a barbell. Lesson learnt.

When my LP progress died out, I went on TM for maybe four or five weeks. I took it light, taking a few kg back from my LP fives (I was doing back off sets at the end). In retrospect, my volume day weight was a bit high and I was just unable to do 5x5 by the fourth week. And I was sleeping a lot. I just could not eat enough. Was full all the time. Or sleeping. And not recovered by the next session. I turned 40 the next month.

I'm running TM at 41. If it makes any difference at all, people tend to consistently think That I am 33-34. I don't particularly feel "beat up" by the program overall, though Volume Day can be a freakin' grind mentally and physically. I do love winter sports and I've definitely run into some recovery issues when I couldn't resist fresh powder either on the fat bike or snowboard, so had some stalled weeks (I also commute with a bike), but, outside of those instances, made pretty good progress, gained 15 pounds and added plates to all my lifts. I really just wanted the experience of running TM for empirical reasons. I feel like I can make some more progress on the program. In fact, with Spring "mud" season coming up, I should have less athletic endeavors to interfere with Recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post

While I was talking.
    That sounds terrible, but also something that should be experienced! Unless it costs you your livelihood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast