starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Texas Method: Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    That sounds terrible, but also something that should be experienced! Unless it costs you your livelihood.
    Everyone thought it was funny. Another time my teammates caught me,took a picture and made memes.

Did everyone experience this same feeling with the split routine?

I run it while fasting for weight loss and no kidding I don't feel that bad at all. One huge caveat though is I'm an early intermediate, so the weight is relatively low.

I ran a Texas Method variant at age 53 a couple of times for short periods. Made excellent gains running it out.
    I was also able to take huge afternoon naps on the weekends that lasted 6 hours or more, and follow up with 8 hours of sleep overnight.
    I'm actually looking forward to trying it again when I have lots more free time.

I like how this article recognizes intensity day as integral to the accumulated stress of the TM. I also like how it, and much recent discussion of TM, are explicit that it is not simply LP 2.0 where there is a basically universally effective program and nearly all issues result from YNDTP of some sort, i.e. not all will find ID to be a recoverable stressor (or preferable to lower intensity, higher volume).

One thing that would help the article's treatment of transitioning to TM is acknowledging advanced novice staples like 3x3 or backoffs when advising how to set starting #s. Most who read it will know and make use of these techniques at the end of their LP.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I ran a Texas Method variant at age 53 a couple of times for short periods. Made excellent gains running it out.
    I was also able to take huge afternoon naps on the weekends that lasted 6 hours or more, and follow up with 8 hours of sleep overnight.
    I'm actually looking forward to trying it again when I have lots more free time.
    That's not a nap, that's another whole sleep.

TM is nowhere near a first choice for intermediate Masters. It is never my go-to program for clients who are finishing LP. That said, I have a few older lifters who have made excellent extended progress on modified TM programs. They feel a bit beat up, yes, but they like the GainZ, they are motivated and strong, they are assiduous about their recovery, they tolerate the program, and they like it (to the extent one can "like" such a thing).

They are most definitely the exception, not the rule. But I don't think TM is categorically off-limits to Masters.

If I could do it all over again, the first thing I would change when transitioning to TM would be to squat 4 sets of 5s for a few weeks. Backing off the weight from your 5x3 PR gives you a false impression that 5x5 is not that hard. But at some point in those first couple weeks you realise how tough it is to recover from the much increase tonnage. A bit like when waking up early after a long night of drinking. At first you think you feel OK, but by early afternoon you cannot think of anything else than getting back in bed hugging tubes of ibuprofen.

I haven't made it to texas method yet, but this was a great read to understand the mechanics of the programming.

I have a question regarding ID weight jumps and "running it out". If a trainee were satisfied with slow, steady long term progress, would it be better to switch from 5lb jumps to 2.5 jumps for the 1 set of 5? Or does "running it out" and switching to triples doubles and singles when 5lb jumps are exhausted work better for long term progress?

starting strength coach development program
    On upper body, for sure. Microloading is a necessity. For Squats/Deads we typically use 5 lbs jumps for adult males and smaller jumps for women, older clients, or perhaps a male of lighter bodyweight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123