starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article on NCAA Strength & Conditioning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I read the piece before I read your response, Rip, and out of the whole 5000 word article, I keyed in on the same ~100 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The NSCA and CSCCA sent a joint statement to the NCAA in 2015 demanding “higher professional guidelines.”
    The NSCA and the CSCCA want the NCAA to mandate that strength coaches hold "accredited certifications." Like those provided by the NSCA and the CSCCA.
    Makes you really wonder, huh? Then again:

Quote Originally Posted by CSCCA executive director Chuck Stiggins
    I want you to know, and I mean this with humility, we are the gold standard for certification. Other organizations have 65,000 to 70,000 certifications. We only have about 840. Those who have our certifications are very skilled.
    Great! We've got this on lock. They've got 840. What've we got? 150, if that?

I'm probably way off base here, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Have you ever tried to get a coach to let you train a couple of his athletes that maybe aren't their prized scholarship athletes? Then by the end of a year, you could compare the results your kids vs their kids? Or maybe some of the kids you've started coaching in high school? It would be interesting to see a side-by-side result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    We've got this on lock. They've got 840. What've we got? 150, if that?
    He doesn't even know we exist. We're at about 120 right now, and we'll lose a few at the end of the year because our Maintenance of Certification requirements are tougher than his. But he's right about the NSCA.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Have you ever tried to get a coach to let you train a couple of his athletes that maybe aren't their prized scholarship athletes? Then by the end of a year, you could compare the results your kids vs their kids? Or maybe some of the kids you've started coaching in high school? It would be interesting to see a side-by-side result.
    One does not "get a coach" to let you do anything. You do your best job with kids that ask for help. When this occurs, the results are quite obvious.

You'll love this:

Some schools require their strength coaches to have a USAW Level 1 coaching certification. I don't think it is an NCAA requirement.

To get that, they had to be USAW members and take the weekend course. When I was on the BOD, we were forced by the USOC to institute background checks for all coaches, officials and administrators. Of course, that came with an additional fee. The main purpose was to weed out any with a history of sexual misconduct. A few coaches contacted us stating they were worried about previous D and D charges, DWI, battery, etc.

I was not aware of anyone that failed the check, not sure I would have been told anyway, but I found it interesting that some were required to take the course and maintain a membership as a condition of employment. I suppose it looks good on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by MWittmer View Post
    When I was on the BOD, we were forced by the USOC to institute background checks for all coaches, officials and administrators. Of course, that came with an additional fee. The main purpose was to weed out any with a history of sexual misconduct. A few coaches contacted us stating they were worried about previous D and D charges, DWI, battery, etc.
    I was a Senior Coach at the time. I dropped both that and the USAW membership at that point. Fuck these people. A bunch of VOLUNTEER coaches have their integrity question? By who? The fucking professional bureaucrat fuckers on the USOC? I'll set myself on fire before I play that bullshit.

Sorry, still pisses me off.

I was a Senior Coach at the time. I dropped both that and the USAW membership at that point. Fuck these people. A bunch of VOLUNTEER coaches have their integrity question? By who? The fucking professional bureaucrat fuckers on the USOC? I'll set myself on fire before I play that bullshit.

Sorry, still pisses me off.
    I get it, you were not the only coach to discontinue membership. I was very conflicted. Blame USASwimming, or one of their coaches, the one that had a sexual relationship with a minor. Of course, this came with a lawsuit which also named the USOC. Included in the allegations was a claim that USAS and the USOC did not adequately vet member coaches. The USOC decided to require all National Governing Bodies to obtain background checks on member coaches and officials. Failure to do so would result in loss of status and with that, funding. At that time, the majority or weightlifting's funding came from the USOC.

I reluctantly voted for it, I believe the BOD vote was unanimous. There had been several weightlifting coaches who entered into relationships with one of their lifters, but they were of age, ethical issues, but not illegal. We did have a member who was an ATC (worked for one of the more prominent clubs) who had a long term relationship with a minor. I think she was 14, maybe 15, when it started. No lawsuit ensued. I think the guy got twenty years.

While I did not believe background checks would prevent this kind of stuff from happening, the argument was that at least in the event of one we could show that we took all reasonable measures to protect members. So, it looks good on paper. I suppose, legally, the organization is reasonable for the actions of any member perverts.

I understand the positions of the individual members of the board. I'm quite sure most of the NGBs lost good coaches for the same reason. But by this time I was disgusted with the whole BOG thing, as well as several personnel decisions made by the BOD and the management of the funds by the financial geniuses in charge of them. The background check was merely the last straw.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I'm probably way off base here, but thought I'd ask anyway.

This was instructive. The Black Iron Training After-School Barbell Program | Chris Kurisko

These idiots lack the ability to improve any athlete's ability, because they don't understand either their capabilities or their limitations to do so. But you're right, it would be great if they didn't kill them in the process of not making them better.
    Not the NCAA. Worse. Just in case you think I'm making this shit up.

Twitter

starting strength coach development program
    He's doing it wrong. He doesn't have the headphones and the bands to cut off circulation to his legs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast