starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab for Collarbone surgery

Default Rehab for Collarbone surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've seen your videos and read the forum posts on rehabbing shoulder issues. I'm about 8 weeks out from collarbone surgery. My bone is fully fused, not completely strengthened yet but I have started "Strengthening" my shoulder. I end up doing a lot of "fallouts" with a 3 lb weight which is absolutely worthless. Would you recommend a similar rehab program for structural shoulder issues as you would for labrums? Or should I wait until the bone is fully healed?

The bone will not be "fully healed" for at least another year. Why was surgery performed on a fractured clavicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bone will not be "fully healed" for at least another year. Why was surgery performed on a fractured clavicle?
    The bone was almost fully separated ear the AC ligament. The bone was reset and a plate with 7 screws was put in.

I'd start light presses and lat pulls, progressively loading very carefully. Light.

Great, thanks.

A pre and recent post op radiograph would be very helpful.

Here is the post op Xray. I do not have the one they took at the hospital. I can say, the break was barely visible in the frontal Xray. In the lateral Xray, you could see the bone was separated towards the rear.Bone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd start light presses and lat pulls, progressively loading very carefully. Light.
    What would the effect be on the squat and deadlift? In my absolutely ignorant opinion, I think the squat might not be affected too badly, but heavy deadlifts might put a crapload of strain on the structures of the collarbone. no?

It might. He'll know the first time he does them.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm able to squat fine... I dropped my weight way down and have been working back up. There is a small mobility issue getting my left elbow into position, the correct position is right at the edge of my range of motion. Not gonna try pulling for a while, I'm going back for a follow up in a couple weeks. I'm gonna see what DR has to say about that.