starting strength gym
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This stupid bullshit will continue until Women decide to make it stop.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Or, it is possible that women are fine with trans women competing and do not care to make it stop.
    Then why have men's and women's divisions at all? Would they be fine with that? Or do you mean that you're fine with it, and other women should just catch up?

Or, it is possible that women are fine with trans women competing and do not care to make it stop.
    I seriously doubt this is the case with competitive elite level athletes.... no way.

I wonder what the women in sports do think about it. Not what are they allowed to say, what they actually think. In today's world, it could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sense will return when people decide that sticks and stones may break their bones but names like transphobic will never hurt them. Sense will return when people decide that logic/reason/analysis are more important than feelings/subjective perception/fear of being called nasty names.
    That sucks coach. You're saying there's no hope.

I think the big question needs to be asked: who are these doctors who are testifying in committee that a man with x years of HRT is the same (competitively) as a woman and why have they not been stripped of their MDs?

I wouldn't expect anything less from my Australia these days, last week this shit was going on:

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing as Committee for Melbourne tackles 'unconscious bias' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

39yr old bloke (''female'') crushes the national field of 25-30yr old females that are in their peak by 19kgs, what 39yr old real female would be capable of doing that with such dominance at such a late age in life???

How often do you hear about people complaining about the evils of steroid use in sports? What you suggest here would be equivalent to saying that baseball players would be fine competing with others who use PEDs even though they, themselves, are not able to take them. True competitors simply wish for a level playing field. No matter how you argue this, this is not a level playing field at all.

My favorite quote: "It's testosterone levels which is a much more scientific way of measuring male gender, female gender than anything else that is currently known."

That suggests to me that a man with low testosterone levels should also be allowed to compete in the women's division. Or perhaps a woman who has used certain performance enhancers/hormones (but still identifies as a woman) should compete with men. In any other context, I say live your life how you want to live it, no hormone test required. I have my preferences, you have yours.

The one area (particularly as it relates to youth/high school/college) where I still believe biology should dictate is competitive athletics. I can imagine situations where better flexibility, for example, unfairly benefits an athlete born female who has transitioned to male. That being said, I don't understand enough to know whether biology can be "acquired." There is a difference between "transgender" and "transsexual." As I understand it, the latter involves a full physical and hormonal transition, one which perhaps evens the playing field a bit more. To be transgender doesn't necessarily even dictate the removal of the aforementioned dick and balls.

My final question is, hormonal and developmental advantages aside, are there other, nonsexual, anatomical differences in the physiology of men and women that would create discrepancies in abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then why have men's and women's divisions at all? Would they be fine with that? Or do you mean that you're fine with it, and other women should just catch up?
    Don't they already sort sports by ability anyway? Varsity, JV, etc.? Why not just make it "open class"? The highest levels would be dominated by men – but is the worst male NBA player better than the best female NBA player? The other tiers would sort out differently – watch whichever one floats your boat/you win the most money gambling on.

starting strength coach development program
    Great suggestion. And while we're at it, let's make steroids mandatory for all professional athletes.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast