starting strength gym
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: This stupid bullshit will continue until Women decide to make it stop.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude47111 View Post
    Also, I think quoting Dennis Prager is beneath you.
    This is pretty funny. Counselor Butland has been upbraided by a kid living in his mother's basement. Brodie has disappointed this leftist child. How will he atone? I'm really laughing right now. Fuck!!

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I might be wrong here, but i'm fairly sure a leftist can agree a trans woman is not the same as someone born a woman. I'd argue that they see the physical difference, but they don't want a legal/social difference. Which is a seperate argument with it's own points, not an excuse to throw shade across the bits of society you don't like.
    What I meant, I'll break it down:

Brodie said it beautifully: "Leftists believe in equality of outcome; liberals believe in equality of opportunity", and so do conservatives, I argue. Truly recognizing the differences between MTF and a born woman means understanding those differences in the context of what this thread is about. This is why I said that both liberals and conservatives can agree on this - because both believe in equality of opportunity. And MTF and a woman do not have the same opportunity together in a weightlifting competition. Leftists, on the other hand, believe in equality of outcome, the outcome in this context being that a transgender person, a male to female, was allowed to compete with other females. However, this ignores the point of the competition. It would make more sense to create an opportunity to compete in a transgender division, but, then it would be apparent that these trans women were not being treated as equal to women... even though they are not. They are in a completely different category all their own, just like everything else in life. Leftists don't like this notion.

Currently, Leftists control the major liberal party in America - Democrats. This is why I made the comment about why America is divided. One side believes in equal opportunity, the other in something fundamentally different. Even though liberals and conservatives are on opposite sides, both can come together in their shared belief in equal opportunity, which shapes many values that are different depending on the side, but can be compromised on because of their shared core. This can't happen with leftists vs conservatives.

It's not as simple as you're saying it is. Many leftists despised the riots too and many liberals support them. I'm a person of the left and I have been surprised by how many people who are politically Liberal support punching "Nazis" in the face. From what I can tell, it's the majority of liberals. People who say they're leftists are divided. There is a leftist free speech tradition which the ACLU fights for. Also, I think quoting Dennis Prager is beneath you.
    And how is their designation to "liberal" vs "left" determined? By self-claim? Did they take an online quiz? If you're a true liberal, you don't support the riots. You think the riots are in the same vain as a violation of free speech. Milo Yiannopoulos has a right to give a lecture at Berkeley, whether you agree with what he's saying or not. Let us be clear - a riot is a very different thing from a peaceful protest, which a liberal might partake in.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is pretty funny. Counselor Butland has been upbraided by a kid living in his mother's basement. Brodie has disappointed this leftist child. How will he atone? I'm really laughing right now. Fuck!!
    Amusing given that it made precisely my point about Leftists being in favor of censorship when a person doesn't meet their standards...I can't quote Dennis Prager--a man I thoroughly disagree with on damn near everything--because he's evil, or xenophobic, or racist, or some other unidentified characteristic. Perhaps I should have made the exact same point quoting Bill Maher, Sam Harris, or Jerry Seinfeld instead.

Also amusing given that I'm pretty firmly in the liberal camp, which I've made no secret of in E&P, this forum, and articles on this site:

Government Licensure for Personal Trainers: A Solution in Search of a Problem | Brodie M Butland

even for Democrats like me

You really think I'm a kid and that I live with my mother? I thought that was just a cheap insult. And I never said Prager was racist or xenophobic or that he couldn't be quoted. He's just such a hack.

As amutual acquaintance would say:

"Shut up!," they explained.

And I never said Prager was racist or xenophobic or that he couldn't be quoted. He's just such a hack.
    Yet because you think he is a hack you imply he should not be quoted by (politically) correct thinking people. That's a pretty narrow set of "principles" you assert you ascribe to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Yet because you think he is a hack you imply he should not be quoted by (politically) correct thinking people. That's a pretty narrow set of "principles" you assert you ascribe to.
    My point was actually that Brodie is incredibly smart and thorough--qualities I don't associate with Prager. But if it's putting everyone's panties in a twist then I'll withdraw it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattWI View Post
    However, I did find this quote from the British lesbian feminist Julie Bindel that was worth sharing.

"I don't have a problem with men disposing of their genitals, but it does not make them women, in the same way that shoving a bit of vacuum hose down your 501s [jeans] does not make you a man."
    It is rather funny to me that the feminist and trans communities haven't just killed each other off.

On the one hand you have a bunch of people screaming about how the only difference between men and women is their plumbing and on the other hand you have a bunch of people who want to change their plumbing because they feel a draw towards the stereotypes the other group is trying to pretend have no bearing in reality.

There seems to be some sort of the enemy of my enemy is my friend thing going on, but it still seem rather insane to me...but then again I just don't see hating men as being as much fun as it apparently is.

starting strength coach development program
    My point was actually that Brodie is incredibly smart and thorough--qualities I don't associate with Prager. But if it's putting everyone's panties in a twist then I'll withdraw it.
    Maybe Brodie disagrees with your assessment, at least in this limited case. Maybe that should make one question one's assessments?

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast