starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dislocated shoulder and deadlifting with a mixed grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are you lifts now?
    As of right now I don't know since I havn't really lifted much in the past two months, but before I got hurt:

Squat - 450
    Bench Press - 340
    Deadlift - 580

I deadlift sumo

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    Here it goes. I wasn't comfortable using a mixed grip because of years of shoulder issues. I also really appreciate my biceps. Just saying. After I finally had surgery, it didn't occur to me to make the mixed grip my standard. Why would it? Yeah, the hook grip might hurt for the first couple of weeks. Or judging by how whiny most of you guys are, probably months. Or forever. Who knows? How do you guys survive catching a cold? Do you? Don't mind me, I'm just snarking away. According to my current knowledge, most oly lifters use the hook grip for cleans and snatches, too. I play music and my only worry here was that it would permanently hurt my hands. After you get used to it, it's quite uncomfortable, but that's about it. I really don't see the issue. I think everything about training is uncomfortable, therefore utilizing this superior choice of grip shall make no difference in your whinefest's ultimate end result. I started taping my thumbs lightly a couple of weeks ago and it has felt even better since then.

"No ragrets".
    I don't mind the snarking, don't worry.

I am concerned about having a recurrent dislocation of my right shoulder. That's what I am trying to avoid. So do you think a hook grip is safer for the shoulders?

But Rip, wouldn't you say that Brad Gillingham is an elite powerlifter? Not all trainees are going to be able to pull 800 lbs, let alone with a hook grip. Hook grip hurts. Even the Olympic weightlifters who pull 600 lbs for a clean and jerk use a hook grip but they are also elite athletes. We don't even know if those guys train the deadlift. If your weakest link in a successful deadlift is your grip, wouldn't you try another grip or straps?

Perhaps not minding that it hurts is part of becoming an elite athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilson View Post
    But Rip, wouldn't you say that Brad Gillingham is an elite powerlifter? Not all trainees are going to be able to pull 800 lbs, let alone with a hook grip. Hook grip hurts. Even the Olympic weightlifters who pull 600 lbs for a clean and jerk use a hook grip but they are also elite athletes. We don't even know if those guys train the deadlift. If your weakest link in a successful deadlift is your grip, wouldn't you try another grip or straps?
    I used hook grip and pulled 341 pounds off the floor... in a powerlifting competition.

USAPL Dec 13th 2014 - YouTube

I used hook grip and pulled 341 pounds off the floor... in a powerlifting competition.

That was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilson View Post
    Even the Olympic weightlifters who pull 600 lbs for a clean and jerk...
    No one has done 600. So far as I know, Chemerkin's the only one who's even attempted it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post

Welcome back, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatchatoa1 View Post
    That was awesome!
    It should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    <snip>

Welcome back, Michael.
    Thanks Sean. I miss SS, Rip, Stef, WFAC, etc....

starting strength coach development program
    I've been using a hook grip for three years now, pulled 500 in my last meet with a hook grip. You don't really notice it if you do it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12