starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Feigenbaum MD SSC: The Texas Method and 5/3/1.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Question for Jordan (or anyone that knows this) from the article:

For a given exercise and a given rep range, loads equal to or greater than 70% a person’s 1RM tend to be productive for increasing force production and hypertrophy through both structural and enzymatic changes in the muscle.
    What are the enzymatic changes?

I dunno, this all seems too complicated. Linear progression makes sense to me but once we get into RPE and a bunch of different loading calculations it just feels like mental mathturbation.

Also, Mark's statement that all outside activities can interfere with recovery rings true. From a chemistry perspective or bodies are the limiting reagent of the reaction.

Texas Method appeals to me because linear progression is still occurring its just the slope changes. I think all the resets are mostly convenient ways to keep your enthusiasm up and deal with the normal bumps in the road hat accumulate over time.

I always picture the overall adaptation curve as logarithmic, the slope and maximum are primarily subject to age and genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Question for Jordan (or anyone that knows this) from the article:

What are the enzymatic changes?
    Upregulation of energy creatine and fatigue product neutralizing enzymes, of which there are TONS.

Quote Originally Posted by z3nrunn3r View Post
    I dunno, this all seems too complicated. Linear progression makes sense to me but once we get into RPE and a bunch of different loading calculations it just feels like mental mathturbation.
    Why? I guess I'm more just questioning why it is so hard to think about their programming when it is obvious that this must take place in order to manipulate the correct variables appropriately.

Texas Method appeals to me because linear progression is still occurring its just the slope changes. I think all the resets are mostly convenient ways to keep your enthusiasm up and deal with the normal bumps in the road hat accumulate over time.
    Linear progression can occur in many different programs including those that are RPE or percentage based. I see most folks doing TM (when inappropriate) never realize their full strength potential because they just keep resetting and farting around within 10% of the weight they did the first few months of TM.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Serious question, who actually does heavy deadlifts on volume day instead of intensity day? Everyone who I've heard from who has tried both ways drastically prefers doing them on intensity day, because it allows one to actually deadlift heavy and make progress, possibly because the intensity day squats are a quarter of the tonnage of volume day squats. Doing them on volume day pretty much precludes being able to do them well.
    I did for about 6 weeks last year going from 440 x 5 to 470 x 5 on deadlift. I was tired after volume work, but I felt weaker after intensity sets.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Linear progression can occur in many different programs including those that are RPE or percentage based.
    The RPE template with back-off sets certainly worked for me, and far better than TM because it was more forgiving of training and recovery hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Upregulation of energy creatine and fatigue product neutralizing enzymes, of which there are TONS.
    Thanks, and I'll pretend I fully understand what that means.

(Time to read up on this stuff).

As an early intermediate I would like to point out that we early intermediates have no clue about our RPEs. If you'd ask me to do a set @9 I'd have to rep to failure and then could say ex post what my @9 would have been. This seems to me to be the main flaw in the system (if you want to use it for early intermediates).

And this is why I have repeatedly said that RPE is not useful or appropriate for anybody but late intermediate or advanced lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And this is why I have repeatedly said that RPE is not useful or appropriate for anybody but late intermediate or advanced lifters.
    Agreed, except I'm unconvinced it's as useful for even advanced lifters as people think it is. It very well may be, and people swear by it. I get it. But I'm skeptical.

But since I'm not an advanced lifter, and never will be, and don't coach any, I'm sure my skepticism will be regarded with skepticism.

Especially in light of all the well controlled, well powered, peer-reviewed, carefully obtained experimental data in appropriate subjects showing that RPE programming is clearly superior to well matched non-RPE programming.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    As an early intermediate I would like to point out that we early intermediates have no clue about our RPEs. If you'd ask me to do a set @9 I'd have to rep to failure and then could say ex post what my @9 would have been. This seems to me to be the main flaw in the system (if you want to use it for early intermediates).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I tend to agree, when I was doing 5-3-1 last year (after SSLP and an 8 week run of HLM programming) I routinely went to absolute failure on bench and press AMRAP sets even though I was supposed to be stopping "1 rep shy". I suck at gauging how many reps I have left in the tank.

I have seen it suggested that getting in the habit of recording RPE's early on (without making any training decisions based on that information) will help people develop that awareness earlier than they otherwise would. Seems to make sense, although I haven't tried it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast