starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Podcast: Brian F. Jones -- 5 Inches to 500 Pounds

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    The external fixaters completely immobilized the legs - no movement. I believe that was for the first month.

The internal hardware, along with running up the tibia, was on both sides of the ankle. The distal ends of both tibias were shattered into eggshell slivers - I think 8 pieces in the left; 12 to 15 in the right. I'm still not clear on how he built them back together - real Humpty Dumpty shit and I dont think the Ortho was really sure whether it would take it or not.

I have reduced range of motion in both ankles. Squat shoes, aside from being a damn good idea for folks without busted up legs, helped quite a bit - particularly during the beginning.

Pain is constant. It ranges from acute, specific pain that I give between a 6 to 8 on the pain scale; focused right at the ends of my tibias. I know there are some shards floating around in there that screw with me. There is always a constant dull pain; like a toothache, in both of them. I've gotten used to it. Reminds me of a nonstop low bass hum except painful. Then there are nerve flash pains, phantom pains, electric shock in feet . .a bunch of stuff. If you would not have asked I would not have told you but since you did, I am going to be honest. And no, I take no type of pain medication. None. Sometimes during mid set it will feel like an ice pick gets crammed into my ankle but you just roll through it. In a weird way, I guess I have almost come to welcome it sometimes; almost like the way some of us can't get off the pain train of tattoos . .it helps me focus at times. Weird huh? I've never told anyone that before.

I still don't have full range of motion - and I have to do some form of squatting every day. If I don't then I stay stoved up and gimpy all day. But if I go out, drink massive coffee, put on my tunes and do my regular work sets on training days and 70% x 5 x 5 on off days then I am good

May be a bit more than you were looking for but I am always hoping that if there is someone that can find a reference point or some commonality with the the things I have gone through and continue to grow stronger with, that if they can see a light of recognition with themselves, or if something in my experience gives them a spark . .it is worth the rambling to me. There are folks out there that need all of our help - we just need to keep our eyes open and our heads out of our asses long enough to find them.
    Thanks Brian! I appreciate the detailed response. The fact that you continue to squat and deadlift the numbers you do despite the pain is amazing. It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "It doesn't get easier, you get stronger". Barbells have not only made you stronger physically but mentally as well. You're still in pain, but you don't fear it.

You say you've started training other people in your area right? Is your goal to become an SSC in the future and help more people? Maybe open up your own gym for people with similar stories? You've talked to Rip about it in the podcast. We live in a very litigious society. Do you think it's possible to open up a gym like that and not constantly be getting sued? It seems like this kind of rehab will never become the norm or widely accepted unless we wipe out the common belief that barbell training is dangerous and therefore, prone to litigation.

Thanks again for your responses, Brian. And good luck with your trianing.

Much appreciated. Barbell training can change lives
    An underrated rehab system. I have been on the end of a rubber band rehab system for shoulder injuries, wish I knew about OHP's back in those days. Would have saved a lot time.

BTW Brian you need to cut down on the testosterone supplement you add to the pugs food, their eyes are bulging at the seams mate.

Amazing story! That's gotta take a big set to continue squatting when you know your going to get an ice pick in the leg everytime. Just reminds me of how much of a pussy I am.

The wife and I watched your SS coaches association talk last night....again. I'll admit it; we both cried...again. I'm sure that crowd of SS coaches didn't help any since they are a bunch of p*ssies also.

My family sends prayers your way from across the mountains in NC. I hate that you are still in pain.

Thank you . You are correct - those SSCs? That group is nothing but a bunch of softies . . a bunch of dedicated, committed and wonderful softies . . .

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you . You are correct - those SSCs? That group is nothing but a bunch of softies . . a bunch of dedicated, committed and wonderful softies . . .
    The official story is that you were speaking while a bunch of us were cutting onions for the evening's dinner.

Yours is still an amazing story every time I hear it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12