starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sully's March to the Sea

Default Sully's March to the Sea

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Reports from the field--

Day 3 of Sully's March to the Sea: Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA.

Dr. Sullivan just finished his talk on The Barbell Prescription here at Saint Vincent College to a crowd of well over 100 attendees (from all around Western PA, West Virginia and even as far as Nebraska--really, Nebraska). It was, as expected, absolutely brilliant. He delivered with the poise, acumen and compassion that comes only from a deeply-knowledgeable man who has walked many miles along those who work hard to enjoy the benefits of strength.

The Q&A session that followed was excellent. Thoughtful questions were asked and thoughtful answers were given. I'll post some pictures of the presentation as well as some details from the Dayton and Cleveland talks tomorrow.

If you were not able to attend this lecture or the two Ohio stops, there are still more opportunities:

April 4 – Westminster, Maryland
    7:00 pm, McDaniel College, Decker Auditorium
    Host: Eric Shugars

April 6 – Baltimore, Maryland
    6:00 pm, Southeast Anchor Library – Enoch Pratt Free Library
    Host: Emily Socolinsky

April 7 – Washington D.C.
    6:45 pm, George Washington University, Mt. Vernon Campus, Ames Hall
    Host: Daniel Raimondi

The Barbell Prescription Lecture Series

Is he bracing himself for the possibility that noodle armed leftists and millenials with blue hair and bitch tits at the more southern colleges will protest his declarations of "strength for all" as reinforcement of and support for toxic masculintiy and images of patriarchy and expressions of ableism?

God be with him.

Day 1 from Mia Inman, SSC in Dayton, Ohio:

Excellent start to Sully's March to the Sea!

Sully arrived at my place mid-afternoon. We had an early dinner, then headed over to Antioch at 6:15. People started filing in at 6:30, and by 7 pm we had about 100 in attendance. Folks came from as far away as Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis. The lecture lasted about an hour, then at least another hour of Q&A - probably could have gone longer but Dr. Sullivan wrapped it up beautifully a little after 9.

Sully Lecture Day 1.jpg

Questions included:

- How do you get someone to try barbells when they're afraid of them?
    - What do you mean by "volume" and "intensity"?
    - What are some of the contraindications that would prevent someone training?
    - Can you do this program on your own or do you need a coach?
    - How do you mix in other activities?

We sold a lot of books; Sully signed many of them and talked to some of the audience afterwards.

Dr. Sullivan's visits to St. Vincent are always truly so worthwhile.

This time not only did he give a phenomenal presentation, he also took the time to guest lecture in Dr. Racculia's Science of Human Strength class and coach after! I learned so much.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us. It was spectacular. Please come back to visit soon! And of course thank you to Dr. Racculia for continuing to organize such amazing opportunities like this for students to learn about the importance of smart strength training.

Day 2 from Brodie "Consigliere" Butland in Cleveland, Ohio:

Sully's presentation began at around 1:45pm at the Lakewood Family YMCA. There was solid turnout, nearly all of those who were there were in the target age demographic. Aside from the Lakewood YMCA branch director, the head of Wellness and Programming, and one of the top personal trainers at the branch, we also had in attendance two college professors from Lorain County Community College, who teach exercise physiology and personal training courses.

Sully Lecture Day 2.jpg

Sully's presentation lasted about 50 minutes, with about 30 minutes of Q&A. It was very well received--the branch director forwarded me an email this morning from two of the attendees saying that they really enjoyed it.

All in all, a very successful event that I think will bring some lasting change to how we do fitness in Northeast Ohio. Thanks very much to Sully for a wonderful event.

We should all be grateful that Sully continues to share his knowledge and experience with us. The Barbell Prescription is a fantastic book, but listening to Sully deliver his message in his own words is something else. Many lecture attendees were impressed not just with the information in Sully's presentation (the words "eye opening" were used several times) but also with his passion for his work. Thanks Sully for a fantastic book and presentation and thanks to Starting Strength for making this all possible.

Dr Sullivan made his stop in Westminster, Md at McDaniel College yesterday.

He spent the morning hanging with us at Westminster Strength and Conditioning. He watched some of our older trainees get under the bar and spent some time interviewing them. Should be some great video in the future.

The afternoon was spent with Sully guest lecturing for two college classes. SSC Angie Bryant teaches a strength training class and a nutrition class at the college. Sully was kind enough to spend over an hour at each class lecturing students.

That evening he presented to a packed house. Over 130 people showed up to hear Sully speak. He delivered an awesome presentation. If you have the opportunity to go to one of these- DO NOT MISS IT.

A huge thanks to Sully for taking to time to visit us.

sully.jpgsully2.jpg

Nicely done Beau! Every presentation has been fantastic and, I think the coaches will agree, the Q&A is alone worth it.

There are still two opportunities to see Dr. Sullivan speak!

April 6 – Baltimore, Maryland
    6:00 pm, Southeast Anchor Library – Enoch Pratt Free Library
    Host: Emily Socolinsky

April 7 – Washington D.C.
    6:45 pm, George Washington University, Mt. Vernon Campus, Ames Hall
    Host: Daniel Raimondi

The Barbell Prescription Lecture Series

Dr. Sullivan finished his book tour with us in Washington D.C. on the campus of George Washington University. He delivered a speech to about 40 people, including members of the military, Dept. of Defense, NSF, and various private contractors/engineers. His speech was absolutely fantastic, and included about an hour long presentation followed by Q and A. I've had many great responses since the talk, and cannot thank Sully enough for putting on such a great presentation.

IMG_0844.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Day 6: The Baltimore Stop
    Sully made it to Fivex3 around 10am yesterday morning, despite the nasty, torrential downpours. Sully interviewed all of my master lifters who were training that morning and helped Diego and I coach a few.

We arrived at the library around 5:15 or so, got Sully settled and people began arriving around 5:45. A few latecomers made the total number of people close to 45...which was just what I was expecting and given the nasty weather and 6pm start time on a Thursday in the city. Sully spoke for about an hour and then followed up with a 30 minute Q&A. We had a few light refreshments for our guests courtesy of Teavolve Cafe, the cafe across the street from my gym and long-time friends of ours.

Everyone was really impressed with the talk and as much as I loved having him present to my clients, friends and people I didn't know, it was his trip to our gym that was the true highlight of my day. I would love to see ALL of you in action....it was an honor to have him here.

Here is the link to our Q&A: Dr. Jonathan Sullivan, "The Barbell Prescription Book Tour" - YouTube - I started filming right when he started to answer the first question about dumbbells. Good stuff here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast