starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Now the New Yorker?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And when she says "smart," she is not using the term as a perfect synonym for "intelligent," because of the New York thing. She means "correct," I think.
    I think perhaps she means "stylish." As in the somewhat antique phrase that the New Yorker seems to still thrive on, "the smart set." After having abstracted the aura of the actual magazine published by others.

In other words, defending and reinforcing the East Coast Brahmins in things like not wearing white after Labor Day. Once a mode of dress and now a mode of politics.

I tuned out at "people with vaginas" and got totally lost around "context of disabilities, ...etc.".
    Great retort by an earlier poster about the author's guilt over "lack of lack" - just totally nailed it. Earth to New Yorkers...it's just fine to be male, even better to be a strong male, and best to be a strong male that doesn't need the validation of others or a politically correct handwringing session before reaching self assurance.
    And then, on my cell phone anyways, the next article was this great read: The Strongest Man in the World - The New Yorker
    Very refreshing! There is hope for New Yorkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    I tuned out at "people with vaginas" and got totally lost around "context of disabilities, ...etc.".
    I wonder how many people out there have actually more than one vagina?

Update: according to the WHOs, and affirmed by the Daily Mails: 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And when she says "smart," she is not using the term as a perfect synonym for "intelligent," because of the New York thing. She means "correct," I think.
    That's gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Earth to New Yorkers...it's just fine to be male, even better to be a strong male, and best to be a strong male that doesn't need the validation of others or a politically correct handwringing session before reaching self assurance.
    I'll bet there are plenty of people in NYC who are just fine. Unfortunately, they don't own or inhabit the print or broadcast media that have become the arbiters and the wanna-be shapers of public opinion for the other 3000 some odd counties of the Good Old U S of A.

Because those media folk have such an empty hole in their inner being that they will seek any damn silly-ass thing to make them feel at the top of Maslow's self actualization pyramid.

Of course the same thing could be said about LA and Chicago as well.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

its a shame she didn't ask your opinion of medhi, Rip. that would have made for a good quote.

Meh. Not a great article, but I don't see what some people are fussing about. It's not like she was attacking lifting for being too masculine, which I've seen in other places.
    Last edited by Sean Herbison; 04-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    its a shame she didn't ask your opinion of medhi, Rip. that would have made for a good quote.
    I was not consulted. I just talked to the fact checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    but I don't see what some people are fussing about. It's not life she was attacking lifting for being too masculine, which I've seen in other places.
    I find the part where she swapped the "opponent's" argument for one of her own devising in order to juxtapose her moral superiority....troubling.

Also: plenty of folks here work with disabled people. The narratives of disabled trainees (in my experience) aren't special: they want to be stronger versions of themselves. Same with minority/fringe gender-types (just wanna be stronger...even the male-to-female folks I've known). The winners vs. losers thing: I don't think most of us train to be stronger than our neighbors. Rather, the value of strength is intrinsic (or to use a phrase from Hurling's hero, Maslow: the "self-actualization" itself is the end-game).

That's what I'm fussing about.

starting strength coach development program
    Apparently the fine people at Digg have picked up on this story, and the person who writes the smartass tag line is familiar with the lingo.
    hipdrive.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast