starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Flexibility advice needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    No, I wouldn't listen to advice from anyone in the coaches forum that wasn't a SS coach.

I was asking for your opinion on whether the online coaching service offered over at barbellmedicine.com, by Leah Lutz, would be appropriate for me given what history of mine I have shared so far in this thread. You had suggested SSOC to me, but since her coaching is through barbellmedicine.com and not SS.com, I can't tell if it's the same thing or not.

If Leah agrees to take you as a client, it doesn't matter where she works.

Thanks Rip

What about your "back injury" do you think is special compared to the other 80% of adults with back pain?

Thanks for asking Will. I don't really think my "back injury" is "special". I'm guessing you're wondering why I think it's an injury related to lifting.

Actually I didn't think it was at first. I just noticed a slight pop in my low back when coming up out of the squat. I thought "that's strange, maybe it's time to start wearing a belt." So I put the belt on and finished two more sets with some slight discomfort in my low back. It was later on at work, that pain started setting in. I wouldn't say I couldn't walk or anything, but sitting at my desk became REALLY painful. I ended up leaving early because I couldn't focus on work. That was on March 3rd. Today most of that pain is gone, but there is still some lingering pain that wakes me up at night. There is an ache in that area of the low back that I didn't have before March 3rd. I'm not comparing myself to the other 80% of adults with back pain. I'm just comparing me to myself prior to that morning in the gym. There is a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In the 11 years we've been doing our seminar, we've seen about 5 people who we're unable to squat properly below parallel with the correct coaching. FIVE. You are not one of these people, because there is essentially no such thing as a flexibility problem that affects squat depth. I'm sorry, but this is simply a matter of the correct positioning of feet, knees, and hips, and not flexibility. Thus, my coaching recommendation.
    What was the deal with those five people? Injuries? Severe obesity?

Quote Originally Posted by scoTTTimo View Post
    Thanks for asking Will. I don't really think my "back injury" is "special". I'm guessing you're wondering why I think it's an injury related to lifting.

Actually I didn't think it was at first. I just noticed a slight pop in my low back when coming up out of the squat. I thought "that's strange, maybe it's time to start wearing a belt." So I put the belt on and finished two more sets with some slight discomfort in my low back. It was later on at work, that pain started setting in. I wouldn't say I couldn't walk or anything, but sitting at my desk became REALLY painful. I ended up leaving early because I couldn't focus on work. That was on March 3rd. Today most of that pain is gone, but there is still some lingering pain that wakes me up at night. There is an ache in that area of the low back that I didn't have before March 3rd. I'm not comparing myself to the other 80% of adults with back pain. I'm just comparing me to myself prior to that morning in the gym. There is a significant difference.
    Actually, brother, there is something that makes your back injury special compared to the vast majority that have back pain. What makes it special is that your back pain was born in the gym. Pain that is born in the gym, dies in the gym. Pain that is born out of being a lazy sack of shit will outlive you. That is an important distinction. At least the onset of your pain gives you a puncher's chance of getting better. Stay the course and get a coach. In three months, you will understand the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBruce View Post
    What was the deal with those five people? Injuries? Severe obesity?
    One or two, severe obesity, two were elderly, one was a national kettlebell champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    national kettlebell champion.
    What, in the fuck, is this?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    What makes it special is that your back pain was born in the gym. Pain that is born in the gym, dies in the gym. Pain that is born out of being a lazy sack of shit will outlive you. That is an important distinction. At least the onset of your pain gives you a puncher's chance of getting better. Stay the course and get a coach. In three months, you will understand the reason.
    God damn, this is good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast