Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Squat Flexibility advice needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by scoTTTimo View Post
    Rip,

Have you ever been to Bend, OR?

Even if not, know of any good gyms there?
    Never been to Bend OR. Google the gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    She didn't say anything. She just squatted for 2 hours without going below parallel, even under the withering assault of my coaching.
    I remember (fondly???) seeing that withering assault personally. Hell, you assaulted my inability to tell my arms were bending during pull phase of the clean. It's really hard to ignore and I REALLY wanted to comply Her ignoring it. Wow.

She didn't say anything. She just squatted for 2 hours without going below parallel, even under the withering assault of my coaching.
    This reminds me of an episode I had teaching piano. I was going to make this kid tap out a simple rhythm if it took the whole lesson and killed me. It only almost killed me, and he never got it, never even tapped it the same way twice.

No one was helped that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    This reminds me of an episode I had teaching piano. I was going to make this kid tap out a simple rhythm if it took the whole lesson and killed me. It only almost killed me, and he never got it, never even tapped it the same way twice.

Sounds like a few of the ADD riddled snowflake kids I helped trying to teach in CA prior to moving. And this was not just in one 90 minute session. I determined I had become a kind of baby sitter providing a much needed respite for parents.

As Ron White said "You can't fix stupid."

Strewth....I'm scared not to go to depth and that's with you in Texas and me in Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post

Read Musicophilia if you haven't already. Some people simply don't perceive rhythm, like some don't perceive red. You can't teach what a person doesn't have the neural capacity to learn. The more I learn about neurology, twin studies, and dog breeding, the more I lean toward the "nature" side of the old nature-nurture debate, and the more tolerant I become of people's imperfections, including my own.

I promise you that I couldn't tap out a simple rhythm if you spent a week trying to teach me.... 45 years of trying, never once landed a dance step or a clap on beat.

Quote Originally Posted by scoTTTimo View Post
    Rip,

Have you ever been to Bend, OR?

Even if not, know of any good gyms there?
    I've been to Bend multiple times. Resilience Strength Training is a very small powerlifting facility and focuses on 1:1 coaching. However, I wasn't able to get a hold of the gym the last time I was in town (not sure if they went out of business or not). Everything else is Crossfit boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Read Musicophilia if you haven't already. Some people simply don't perceive rhythm, like some don't perceive red. You can't teach what a person doesn't have the neural capacity to learn. The more I learn about neurology, twin studies, and dog breeding, the more I lean toward the "nature" side of the old nature-nurture debate, and the more tolerant I become of people's imperfections, including my own.
    I agree when it comes to musical things, apparently walking in a regular cadence fall into this category as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Greg. I'll look into Resilience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast