starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Flexibility advice needed

Default Squat Flexibility advice needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I have the same issues as the user "Bamma" in "let the weight provide the stretch" [Squat Depth Issues - The Chicken Or The Egg?

I'm 37, been sedentary almost my whole life, and ready to do something about it. I started the program recently and ended up hurting my back due to poor form. I was trying to squat deep enough and instead of holding my back position, I leaned too far forward and created too much of a moment arm on my lower back. As I came out of the hole, I felt a lot of strain on my lower back and felt something pop. Now, a month and a half later my back feels much better (still hurts a little), but I'm ready to get going again. I'm trying to follow your advice to Bamma of "back off a little, shove your knees out and keep your back locked in lumbar extension, and let the weight provide the stretch, which it will. If you are not below parallel in 2 weeks, you are not holding your position correctly."

Two questions:
    1. Should I go down hold the weight there, in order to provide the stretch, or should I just go down and come back up like a normal squat?
    2. Should I post a video of myself attempting to follow your above advice, and ask for my form to be critiqued even though I can't get below parallel yet? I'm concerned about whether or not I'm even holding my position correctly while I "let the weight provide the stretch".

How much weight did you have on the bar when you hurt your back?

240lbs

You need a coach, either SSOC or a local SSC.

I would love a coach, but I live in Prineville, OR. ...and SSOC is beyond my budget.

Then you could start be rereading the book, this time more carefully. How many times have you read the part in the programming chapter about how to start the program?

I have read that section a few times. And now after a back injury, I understand my mistake of sacrificing form for weight on the bar. I regret it, and now I want to fix it...if possible. I can't afford online coaching, but I think I have a serious flexibility issue. I thought maybe my two questions in my first post were appropriate, but....do you have any other suggestions as to how I can proceed?

In the 11 years we've been doing our seminar, we've seen about 5 people who we're unable to squat properly below parallel with the correct coaching. FIVE. You are not one of these people, because there is essentially no such thing as a flexibility problem that affects squat depth. I'm sorry, but this is simply a matter of the correct positioning of feet, knees, and hips, and not flexibility. Thus, my coaching recommendation.

Thank you for your comments Rip, I appreciate it. That statistic puts it in to perspective for me. I posted some videos in the coaches forum, and have some feedback from Steve Hill that I will try to implement. I may just continue to try to use that service for form advice, but...I am considering online coaching from Leah Lutz over at barbell medicine. I can't tell if there would be any difference between her coaching through barbell medicine vs. coaching through SS.com, is there any reason why it might not be appropriate for me?

starting strength coach development program
    Your question is, if I understand it correctly: Is free coaching from whoever stumbles along and takes pity on you better than the services of one of our best coaches who is being paid to think about the problem and ensure that your problem is corrected? Is this seriously your question? Do you understand that we are not hobbyists here?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast