starting strength gym

Thread: Press and Squat Variations for a Guy with Chronic Shoulder injury

Default Press and Squat Variations for a Guy with Chronic Shoulder injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm already fearing the answer to this question but here goes;
    I've got a chronic shoulder injury which used to cause random dislocations from mundane activities, I've had surgery to reduce the frequency of the dislocations but it's far from back to normal and likely will never be.
    Certain movements (basically any movement that places my right arm at an angle higher than a Nazi salute for lack of a better way to draw the picture) cause acute pain and I've been warned could still cause dislocation.
    To that end I've replaced the overhead press with a Landmine press for the obvious reason that the result of a dislocation during a LM press while certainly not pleasant probably wouldn't kill me or leave me a quadriplegic as one during an OH press would.

I also ended up stalling my squat weight at an embarassingly low weight because I just simply can't rest any more weight on my bad shoulder without dislocating my arm and possibly needing another round of surgery, to that end I've temporarily started hack squatting instead since I figured it had to be better than nothing.

How badly am I going to be lagging behind the hypothetical alternate universe me that never fell half a storey onto his outstretched arm and is there any assistance work I could do to compensate ?
    it's the hack squat that worries me the most; it seems too much like a deadlift and I figured there must be a reason no one does it.

How old are you? What do you weigh, how tall are you, and what are your other lifts? When was the original injury? What surgery was performed? How long ago was the surgery? Have you had a recent MRI? When was the last time the shoulder dislocated? Have you tried to bench? How much? Have you tried to press? What weight is pain free? Can you chin? How many? What therapy have you had and with whom? Complicated for a board post, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How old are you? What do you weigh, how tall are you, and what are your other lifts? When was the original injury? What surgery was performed? How long ago was the surgery? Have you had a recent MRI? When was the last time the shoulder dislocated? Have you tried to bench? How much? Have you tried to press? What weight is pain free? Can you chin? How many? What therapy have you had and with whom? Complicated for a board post, eh?

I'm 21, 5 ft 6, up to 75 kg on DL, 70 kg on hacksquats, 37.5 kg on Rows, 30 kg on BP, 22.5 kg on BB curls, 40-42.5 kg on Landmine press.

Have not tried to chin up no.

The injury was about 4 years ago but the surgery was last November (there's that fabled European free healthcare at work), haven't had a dislocation in 7 months.

I wasn't able to put more than 35 kg on my shoulders without acute pain, which isn't really worth squatting.

What is a landmine press, and why is it heavier than your bench?

Two-Arm-Landmine-Press.jpg

Intended to be a replacement for the overhead press;

I'm starting slow on BP with weights I know for a fact i can handle and working my way up partially because of my shoulder and also the fact that I work out at home without spotter bars for the time being.

The short answer is that with all these problems, both physical and conceptual, you're really a candidate for a coaching relationship. Where do you live?

I live in Malta (no not the one in New York).