starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhD?

Default PhD?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark, I have been a follower of your work for years. The info and articles you have put out are extremely helpful to me as a kinesiology lecturer and strength coach obsessed with speed. I am seeking career advice as I'm really stressing out - I have the chance to go to New Zealand and do a phd on youth athlete development. I love reading the research of all kinds but not sure about spending 3 years on one study myself. The adventure and to continue working with kids is a plus. I am sure having a phd would open some doors versus close them, but is the time better spent continuing to coach or intern? I was wondering your thoughts on delving into one study versus what you do and review and make sense of the research. I consider myself more of a coach than an academic. Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Do you intend to seek a position in a university faculty? If so, you have to get the PhD. I see no other reason to waste the time, since, as we both know, academics know absolutely nothing about youth athletic development.

What might your plans be if you decide to stay and not pursue the PhD? I might consider taking the trip over, study and see a new country, you can still coach or research other topics while over there as well. But that just depends on what you have open to you here as well you know?

Thanks for replying. I have no intention to be a university lecturer.

I once started a PhD and my advisor described it as an "Apprenticeship to become a University lecturer".
    If that is your end goal, then go for it.
    If not, practical application of the "theory" will usually pay much better and also be more rewarding if you enjoy working with people, not papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you intend to seek a position in a university faculty? If so, you have to get the PhD. I see no other reason to waste the time, since, as we both know, academics know absolutely nothing about the practical application of knowledge in the real world.
    Fixed....

For example the troll Mahendra has a PhD. That should make you really want one.

I believe you have the wrong person in mind. Mahendra is a great guy and valued member of the community.

Mahendra's log of GainzZz

Right. I meant Marengue.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm a troll and have a PhD?

That's news to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast