starting strength gym

Thread: Book recommendation?

Default Book recommendation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I apologize for the vagueness of my question, but in one of your videos you recommend that people read a book about building race cars. You explained that the subject matter itself was not important, but that it was an important read because the author presented a very detailed, rigorous analysis of all the work that went into constructing a race car. Seeing that type of meticulous problem-solving unfold over several hundred pages would be a good lesson for everyone of the type of work one has to do to solve a serious problem.

Do you remember the title of that book? I did a quick search with the search function and nothing relevant came up.

Thanks.

Engineer To Win by Carroll Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Engineer To Win by Carroll Smith.
    It's a unique book. I didn't expect such a fundamental approach to metals.

Material science is the practical line you can draw where you should stop reducing. Understanding physics and chemistry is certainly important, but everything comes back to microstructure and its associated properties. Any question you have about any physical mechanism (as opposed to chemical) gets reduced to microstructure and stress.

It is surprisingly engrossing. I give zero fucks about the topic but really enjoyed the book.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    ...but everything comes back to microstructure and its associated properties. Any question you have about any physical mechanism (as opposed to chemical) gets reduced to microstructure and stress.
    I only discovered the beauty of materials science a little later in life. I remember a super-student working in the 'center for magnetics' at school, stirring a slurry of ferro-something. At the time, I didn't get the allure of it. Now, I wish I knew more about it.

starting strength coach development program
    One book Mark recommended for anyone who lifts heavy was Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire. Unrelated to barbells but gives a good idea about how to commit to and practice something difficult. Inspiring read.