starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's thoughts on Drinking Alcohol & Health

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My favorite part:

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    In 2010 I was visiting my daughter while she studied in England. I was sitting on one of the trains and staring at the advertisements. It was a pubic service campaign about carrying knives and the penalty for such. It took me a few minutes to mentally process this. Then I discretely reached up and moved the lock blade SOG pocket knife I had in my pocket so that it was not longer clipped to the pocket edge. I left it at the hotel after that. I have friends from New Jersey who were aghast at a dinner party when I took a knife out of my pocket to cut a string off my wife's shirt. Apparently knives are taboo there as well.
    According to Lawrence Kane in The Little Black Book of Violence, 75% of US men carry knives. I know from simple observation that even in urban SoCal you could see them clipped to pockets everywhere. Here in rural Southern Illinois, a little more. It does seem to break down along class lines though. That being, you see far fewer knives clipped to the pocket of some guy wearing a dress shirt with a tie. So it's probably understandable that you crossed class lines and behaved in an infra dig manner by being caught out with something other than a swiss army knife equipped with scissors and a toothpick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My favorite part:
    Oh, you will love that Nunchaku and Shuriken are actually illegal in Germany

Thank god they finally did that. The bodies were piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    "Zombie knives" are also not legal anywhere either. (By zombie knife they mean those weird hatchet/knife/dagger things that cool and scary looking but are probably not much use in real life).
    That attitude is how you wind up with stupid ban laws in the first place. Being from NY I know... they love to ban "scary looking" things that they think aren't "much use in real life" here.

If you're referring to fantasy knife collectors, yes they are stupid, but they should have the right to be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    According to Lawrence Kane in The Little Black Book of Violence, 75% of US men carry knives.
    Sounds like a reliable statistic from an established authority on the subject.

My favorite part:

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

It lifts my spirits to recall that - it wasn't very long ago at that such "thinking" on the matter predominated here in the US as well. I remember very well how careful I had to be to carry concealed in the Progressive People's Paradise of......Oklahoma? Indeed, the number of states that would issue a CCW at all was minuscule and normally limited to PIs and the rules for knives were not very dissimilar to these U.K. rules. Home defense use of a firearm was often only justifiable if you had already retreated until there was no place else to retreat to. Times change, sometimes for the better. The mere possibility of such changes being put on the table in Britain is why I reflexively cheered for Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Sounds like a reliable statistic from an established authority on the subject.
    Do you carry a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you carry a knife?
    To be fair to Tim, I've tried to find where Kane got that statistic. I think it's close to accurate from my own anecdotal observations, but he didn't footnote his source and my google fu powers were not equal to the task.

Other than that, Kane broke some real ground with that book that no one had done before. Only Rory Miller with Meditations on Violence, and Mark Hatmaker with No Second Chance come close.

starting strength coach development program
    Gewicht naar Heupen Plaatsen - YouTube

Jim Jefferies -- Gun Control (Part 1) from BARE -- Netflix Special - YouTube

I know its impertinent to carry a .45 to get a coffee n stuff. Place just might get robbed and you cant play the hero!!! Knifes to you know, muy muy importante.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast