starting strength gym
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's thoughts on Drinking Alcohol & Health

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Why not a triple, BASE?

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    I'm with jhoyda. I think there's a difference in insiting you don't feel the need for a pocket knife yourself (or EDC flashlight, cellphone, etc.) and expressing weird views of people who do. Maybe part of it is that some people imagine us walking through the urban jungle all tacticool with bowie knives and crossbows? Anyway, if I had to decide between my pocket knife or multitool and my phone, I know what I would need multiple times throughout the day. And it's most likely not going to be my Google spybox.

If that makes me Boeotian, I got good news for you.
    No more need to compromise: Tool Storage Multi Tool Knife Case for iPhone 5 5s SE | SmartyKoo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why not a triple, BASE?
    I dunno, I just fill up the tumbler and call it a double. I have to have something to do between heavy sets besides play with my pocket knife, so sometimes I have a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    I dunno, I just fill up the tumbler and call it a double. I have to have something to do between heavy sets besides play with my pocket knife, so sometimes I have a few more.
    I had a tendency of having a cold beer or two towards the end of my workout when I had a garage gym. I never noticed any detrimental effects to my training doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    I've just been sitting back, quietly observing this thread, but I just have to say, Base, you are my type of guy! Let the gainz be with you!

In college, I used to do stupid things like get wasted and do pushups at the same time...We would make drinking games that involved shots and pushups Later in life my father said something to me about drinking while I was splitting wood. He said the alcohol raised your blood pressure. I don't know if this is true, but I have avoided drinking while doing any kind of physical labor ever since. I never mixed a beer with machinery....that's just dumb. Lately, however, when I near the end of my workout....the last 10-20 minutes, I might open a beer and sip at it while I finish up. Especially if I am having a particularly shitty training session. I'm still gonna try to get my reps....might as well enjoy a sip of beer.

re: knives
    folders can be functional, but where is the love for a good non-folding belt knife?
    are they too uncivilized for today?

(and a good belt knife does not need to be the size of a K-Bar)

anyone, Bueller?

re: booze
    doesn't booze impact your cholesterol the wrong way?
    can you drink while on statins?

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    re: knives
    folders can be functional, but where is the love for a good non-folding belt knife?
    are they too uncivilized for today?

(and a good belt knife does not need to be the size of a K-Bar)

anyone, Bueller?

re: booze
    doesn't booze impact your cholesterol the wrong way?
    can you drink while on statins?
    Actually, drinking alcohol raises your HDL (the "good" stuff). We in the medical community don't generally tell patients this, since we tend to see a lot of actual alcoholics (not just people casually discussing the ins and outs of moderate drinking, as we are doing here

The other issue with this fact is that the LDL/HDL is often too simplistic to be terribly useful. There are plenty of examples of people with "favorable" cholesterol who get CVD anyway. So you really need to look at particle breakdown.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm frequently amazed at what doctors DON'T know.

Two examples:

1) A few years ago I had a high (102+) fever and rash. It being Sunday I went to the local urgent-care center, was told I had what used to be called Scarlet Fever, and was prescribed antibiotics and anti-histamines for the rash. I went to my own doctor for follow-up because the rash hadn't cleared up, he did blood work and found my liver enzymes were FUBAR. Insisted I go for ultra-sound etc, even mentioned a liver biopsy. My first question: Could the antibiotic be causing the liver to go crazy, he responded that he wasn't aware of any such side-effect. Went home, googles the name of the antibiotic and "liver", found information from the drug manufacturer that it will cause liver enzymes to go off, but it's harmless, they recommended retesting a couple weeks after the cycle just to make sure. Since we were sitting in his office, in front of his computer, I'd have felt much better if he'd done the same search I did, but he couldn't admit ignorance.

2) A couple years ago my cholesterol tested at about 250. Doctor told me to lose weight and get the number down. Lost 30 pounds over six months, got tested again and was now at 270. He prescribed statins which I didn't fill, did some research and found that weight loss is often accompanied by increases in cholesterol (because the stuff is stored in fat, less fat means it gets dumped into the blood stream, into the liver, and out). Six months later cholesterol was 205. Still not taking statins, I'll kill my liver with single-malt scotch thank you.

On the topic of knives, I carry a folder (Kershaw Skyline) daily, I also have a mini-multi tool in my change pocket, and full sized one in my bag, and another full sized one in my desk drawer at work. One day at work I took out the mini-tool to cut something and my manager informed me "we have a no-weapons policy", good thing it wasn't the folder or she'd have crapped a brick. I still carry it because it's useful, I just make sure to be discrete.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast