starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's thoughts on Drinking Alcohol & Health

Default Rip's thoughts on Drinking Alcohol & Health

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

I was wondering if you have any guidelines for yourself in terms of alcohol consumption.

- Do you limit consumption?
    - Do you drink every day?
    - Does it have a negative effect on your brain, or is that BS?

I'm not an idiot, I know that abusing alcohol results in liver damage and death, but how do you make sure it doesn't affect you negatively?

There is a lot of government agencies recommending "two drinks a day or less", but those same agencies recommend cardio for 30 mins twice a week. Is 5 or 6 drinks a day for a 200 pound man really that bad?

Thanks,

Matt

The only damage I have noted is the belly. And yes, these people are morons. They still recommend a diet low in saturated fat. In 2017. Check and see what the recommendations for daily consumption are in the UK.

They have recently changed for both men and women. A pint a day I think would put you over the recommended limit for the week. As for a nice glass of whiskey the health police would have you for thinking about it.
    Personally I like to drink about once a week.

So the UK is following in the footsteps of our babysitters. Makes sense, I suppose, for a culture that prohibits gentlemen from carrying pocketknives.

Living in Belfast I could drive south of the border have a few extra drinks and as long as I don't cross the border still be healthy as the Republic of Ireland guidelines are different. Nonsense

Assuming all the obvious stuff (you're not a raging alcoholic, can cope with life without alcohol, don't drink+drive), about the worst I can see is that alcohol messes with your sleep. And you probably don't need the extra carbs.

Good thing none of these guidelines are binding. Well, except for the pocketknife one.

In 2010 I was visiting my daughter while she studied in England. I was sitting on one of the trains and staring at the advertisements. It was a pubic service campaign about carrying knives and the penalty for such. It took me a few minutes to mentally process this. Then I discretely reached up and moved the lock blade SOG pocket knife I had in my pocket so that it was not longer clipped to the pocket edge. I left it at the hotel after that. I have friends from New Jersey who were aghast at a dinner party when I took a knife out of my pocket to cut a string off my wife's shirt. Apparently knives are taboo there as well.
    As for the drinking thing, I was being interviewed by a shrink for a security clearance and he began to ask about alcohol consumption. Did I drink...yes. How much...as much as I want. sometimes I want a glass of wine. Sometimes I want more. I don't like hangovers, so I usually don't drink enough to get one. I know people who never drink and people who drink with the intent of getting snot-slinging drunk every weekend. I don't feel like my health is being adversely effected by having a drink except for the extra calories and I have no problem abstaining for a week at a time when my job requires me to be on call.

I saw this story today and I know this is a n=1 story, and I'm not at all attempting to say that whiskey has prolonged this man's life, but it also appears it didn't shorten it either.

What caught my eye was the following:

Overton told the Austin American-Statesman he won’t turn down whiskey as a birthday present.
    “I like any kind you bring me,” he told the local newspaper.
    He adds a little to his coffee in the morning, and spends most afternoons smoking his beloved cigars on the front porch.
    As for what’s kept Overton going all these years: God, cigars and a little bit of whiskey, he says.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    You are incorrect. Pocket knives are not illegal throughout the UK. The government only tells them what kind of knives they can carry where. And what about those gentlewomen?

Make a mental note: Sarcasm.
    Generally, folding knives are OK under a certain size. Locking folding knives or fixed knives are not allowed out in public. Automatic (flick) knives and butterfly (bali-song) knives are not legal anywhere. "Zombie knives" are also not legal anywhere either. (By zombie knife they mean those weird hatchet/knife/dagger things that cool and scary looking but are probably not much use in real life).

For a while, nunchucks were illegal as well. This is daft as unless you're in the top 1% of nunchuk users you're more of a danger to yourself than other people when you use them.

Actually, this is the big list of what is banned: Selling, buying and carrying knives - GOV.UK

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast