starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Back Pain? Maybe it's your pants.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Can totally confirm. This even happened to me with my underwear within a few weeks of first starting the program. I could never have imagined what a relief getting bigger shorts could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes_J View Post
    I've experienced this phenomenon myself. About a year ago I blew the gooch region out in my jeans while getting into my truck on my way to a parent teacher conference. Luckily I had my gym bag with me and a spare pair of shorts. There was a Target on the way so I stopped in just to get something quick and cheap and the only thing in my size was a pair of Wrangler "4 way stretch" jeans. As I was sitting in the conference I noticed almost immediately that my non specific hip and back discomfort was gone. I won't wear anything that isn't a stretch fit anymore and I haven't experienced any back and hip pain since that wasn't related to an actual tweak.
    The Target Levi's Denizen jeans are now made of a stretch material as well, and are inexpensive and very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    I wear the American eagle version of these. They feel like you're wearing sweatpants with jean material. Apparently it's the same stuff women have using for the past century, and I'm pissed they didn't share this technology sooner. They cost more, but I haven't had a single pair wear out due to normal use. Seriously glad I tried them.
    I am a rock climber and lots of the clothes used in climbing are stretchy - look like normal pants - and still wear like iron. Not cheap but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    I wear the American eagle version of these. They feel like you're wearing sweatpants with jean material. Apparently it's the same stuff women have using for the past century, and I'm pissed they didn't share this technology sooner. They cost more, but I haven't had a single pair wear out due to normal use. Seriously glad I tried them.
    I buy Levis and Calvin Klein jeans with this stretchy material and haven't worn regular non stretch jeans since. Like you say you hardly know you are wearing jeans as they feel like comfortable sweat pants. As far as cost, I don't think I paid over $25 at Costco, definitely cheaper than Carhartts which I find very uncomfortable. They don't seem to wrinkle much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I just got a new pair of Carhartt's, and I was reminded about a phenomenon I'd noticed years ago when I wore blue jeans: if the the things fit wrong, they can fuck up your low back in a very short period of time. If there is not enough material across the glutes, i.e. the dimension from glutes in the back to hip flexors in the front is too tight, and if the fabric doesn't stretch, the pants can pull your lumbar into flexion. You may not even notice it while you have them on. Depending on your back, this may be a bad problem. So look at the pattern of your back pain, and if you can associate it with a particular pair of pants, throw the goddamn things away. If you get new ones and they don't fit right, take them back. The problem with Carhartt's is that every pair fits a little differently, and I have 4 pair that fit perfectly.
    Fine, but answer me this, will wearing a pair of Carhatts improve my squat? Or should I direct this question to Louie Simmons?

It is damned near impossible for me to find a pair of everyday wear jeans that fit.

Pretty pricey, but Kuhl pants are awesome. -first pair of jeans I've been able to wear in quite awhile. They add an extra panel on the inside of the thighs that tapers down -not too loose, not too tight. The Kuhl Renegades are 4 way stretch.

KÜHL Clothing | RENEGADE PANT? in Men Pants

Jeans:
    KÜHL Clothing | Young Gun? in Men Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    It is damned near impossible for me to find a pair of everyday wear jeans that fit.
    Will, just give either of these a try.

American Eagle Outfitters
    Extreme Flex Original Straight Jean

prAna
    Stretch Zion Pants

That is all.

I'd also add a vote for Rapid Movement Denim from Banana Republic as well.

starting strength coach development program
    How much do the American Eagle jeans run? The Old Navy ones are about $40 but can get them cheaper from the website with deals.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast