starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Starting Strength in High School

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Eriksson View Post
    From my experience ex-high-level-athletes seldom make the best coaches, at least at the club level.
    This is universally true, not just in the high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachRod View Post
    Sounds goofy but I've always equated coaching as a very manly profession. And the weight room is no different, everyone is an "expert" because its a manly place. And they did so and so back in the day.
    It's just like a BBQ... everyone has their own opinion on how to cook the meat.

Regarding convincing the parents and coaches, I've found in the engineering field that it's extremely hard to convince someone in authority to change their approach when the current method seems to be working. In the case of the weight room, "working" to the person in authority == sweaty/sore kids. It's rare for someone to want to make a decision and take an informed risk... they would rather stick with the status quo (after all, other people do it this way). My solution has always been to sell an idea through fear, e.g. "company X or product Y is going to beat us because they are doing things better and we need to change". A similar approach could be used on parents and coaches.

- Your kid squatting 405 has a better chance of making the team than if he squats 225, especially if he's competing against other kids who are lifting similar weights
    - Team XYZ has kids squatting 275#... we need to squat more weight if we want to beat them

The argument of "hey, we'll be better if we add 100# to everyone's squats" is going to be a tough sell... even though we treat it as common sense on this board.

Oh I forgot one of the best!

My HS just hired a new basketball coach. He comes into the wtroom and I have the girls squatting low bar / heads down etc and he yells "girls, look up!!" I explained to him why they are squatting that way and be apologies and says ok he understands.

THEN.... He watches one of the girls take a deep breath and hold it as she squats, again he yells but this time "BREATH!!"

She racks the bar and looks at me then him and he calls all the girls over before I can correct him so I just let him talk. He tells them "girls, you have to breath when you lift or else you deprive the muscles of oxygen"!

The girls look at me because I told them to do this silly thing, and I said "well coach actually they DO need to hold their breath to create pressure in the trunk area so it's stable, kind of like when you get ready to lift a fridge or take a big dump". He replies "oh ok, girls keep doing it that way then".

After this he steps back and doesn't offer anymore advice...ha

It must be a tremendous relief to no longer have to try to explain yourself to people who can't understand the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It must be a tremendous relief to no longer have to try to explain yourself to people who can't understand the explanation.
    Agreed, I will not miss that part.

I literally have a PDF file saved with each of the lifts quickly broken down and the cues we use/why. Every new coach gets an Email and our AD backs me and expects them to read it upon getting hired! If they're joining us in offseason a couple days. It's easy to tell who's read it and who hasn't. Most common errors/cues of coaches who haven't...:
    Deadlift:
    Get your feet wider!
    Eyes up!
    Butt down!

Squat:
    Eyes up!
    Chest up!

Never fails every time... Busts my balls!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachRod View Post
    I literally have a PDF file saved with each of the lifts quickly broken down and the cues we use/why. Every new coach gets an Email and our AD backs me and expects them to read it upon getting hired! If they're joining us in offseason a couple days. It's easy to tell who's read it and who hasn't. Most common errors/cues of coaches who haven't...:
    Deadlift:
    Get your feet wider!
    Eyes up!
    Butt down!

Squat:
    Eyes up!
    Chest up!

Never fails every time... Busts my balls!
    Like the idea. I bet most don't​ read it or have a clue when they do read it what your talking about but I still like it! At my school anytime a new coach was hired and came into the wtroom the first time in would shake their hand then say "nice to meet you I'm coach Janecek, here's why we look down while squatting"...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345