starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: whiskey flavor

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Some years back I worked with a guy who was a member of Mensa, and I used to go to parties with him and his wife. If it was at someone's house I'd be asked to bring something to share, and one year I brought a chocolate cake. All these very smart people tasted it and LOVED it, insisting that I MUST have made it from scratch, with fresh cocoa (one guy even insisted he knew what BRAND of cocoa I'd used). The cake was 100% Duncan Hines. Yeah, full of what makes the roses grow.

If anyone is wondering what I was doing hanging out with Mensans, let me tell you, if you can't get laid at a Mensa party you're hopeless. These are people with few social skills but the same basic urges as the rest of humanity, so if a woman takes a liking to you she doesn't flirt, play with her hair, etc. She grabs you by the arm and tells you she's going to f*ck your brains out, then proceeds to make good on her promise. The downside is that these are people for whom their personality is their most certain form of birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I forgot where I read it but some people have more sensitive smell and taste genetically, so you probably can't develop it much.
    While this is true - my mother-in-law is such an individual and worked in industrial baking and was a taste tester - the ability to differentiate and name distinct flavors and aromas is a trainable skill that can be developed like any other. The food industry trains people to do this all the time.

Thanks for asking this, OP, as I started drinking bourbon a few months ago. And while of the few bottles I've tried I can sort them worst-->best, I certainly can't pick out 6-12 flavors from each. The first bottle I was mostly concerned with getting it down, as I tolerated it and wanted something to drink that wasn't beer. Didn't help I picked the cheapest bottle there to get started with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They, like wine critics, are full of shit.
    Rip, you're totally missing the point. These "Merchant-Poets" work hard to give people ways to prove their heightened sensitivites and refinement, leaving lesser people in their dust. Just look at what it takes to describe coffee properly:*coffee taster's flavor wheel poster - Google Search

And not only that, but they have to taste the coffee at a temperature nobody can drink it, using techniques you never use, which would get you thrown out of any restaurant or diner*Starbucks Taste Test Team: The Elite Group Trying 600 Cups a Day - YouTube, to find these tastes you'll never taste. And then, armed with these unexperienced adjectives, you can impress your friends and make rivals look stupid by reciting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Rip, you're totally missing the point. These "Merchant-Poets" work hard to give people ways to prove their heightened sensitivites and refinement, leaving lesser people in their dust. Just look at what it takes to describe coffee properly:*coffee taster's flavor wheel poster - Google Search

And not only that, but they have to taste the coffee at a temperature nobody can drink it, using techniques you never use, which would get you thrown out of any restaurant or diner*Starbucks Taste Test Team: The Elite Group Trying 600 Cups a Day - YouTube, to find these tastes you'll never taste. And then, armed with these unexperienced adjectives, you can impress your friends and make rivals look stupid by reciting them.
    These aren't silly affectations; this is what commercial tasters do every day and the methods by which they are trained. The same people using the same tools, taste descriptions, and techniques work at Maxwell House, Chock Full O' Nuts, and Nestle.

The level of variation in just bulk coffee beans based on any number or environmental variables during growing alone is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    These aren't silly affectations; this is what commercial tasters do every day and the methods by which they are trained. The same people using the same tools, taste descriptions, and techniques work at Maxwell House, Chock Full O' Nuts, and Nestle.

The level of variation in just bulk coffee beans based on any number or environmental variables during growing alone is pretty significant.
    I wasn't confining my remarks to Starbucks. I maintain that as a consumer, it's crazy to pay for subtle taste differences that are not discernible during consumption of the product. The tester discerns them by cupping and slurping, but we consume the product by sipping politely, and missing the refinements used to drive up the price.

You can absolutely develop your palette, and it is a scientific fact that some people have more taste buds. My wife is one, and she is a chef. She can take a dish or sauce or drink and pick out flavors well enough that she can very accurately recreate it. That being said, the chef, vintner, distiller, brewer and bartender don't care if you can pick out each nuisance of flavor. They want you to eat, drink and be merry. Besides mastery of their craft, your enjoyment of the meal or beverage is what makes THEM happy.

Enjoy the taste, but don't take shit too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They, like wine critics, are full of shit.
    Have you seen SOMM? It'll give you a good laugh.

The ability to taste, like most other physical abilities, is a spectrum. There actually are some people who are 'super' tasters, who can actually pick out very subtle flavour difference in food (the same applies to scents and hearing). And it can be a well paying job, particularly where it is very important to get a consistent flavour in a product.

That isn't to say that a lot of these tasting notes aren't utter BS. And a description of tasting notes from a 'super' tasters is probably as useful to an average or poor taster as a description of different shades of red and green is to the color blind.

starting strength coach development program
    In all instances of 'super tasting' I would want to see evidence from blind tasting before I'll buy it. Maybe such things exist.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast