starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: whiskey flavor

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    In all instances of 'super tasting' I would want to see evidence from blind tasting before I'll buy it. Maybe such things exist.
    It does occur: somm exam - YouTube

In all instances of 'super tasting' I would want to see evidence from blind tasting before I'll buy it. Maybe such things exist.
    I still find it hard to believe that folks can instantly recognize a pitch without reference. That - for them - that pitch has some quality (I mean wtf is "c-sharpnness") that utterly eludes me.

I once mentioned to a reknown pianist that the color/moods of various keys with identical pitch relationships had to be bullshit. He looked at me as if I were retarded.

My daughter has perfect pitch. Leads even ask her for the starting note at rehearsal. She has an uncanny ability with music. Hey, some people have it. Some don't. I'm in the don't department.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    My daughter has perfect pitch. Leads even ask her for the starting note at rehearsal. She has an uncanny ability with music. Hey, some people have it. Some don't. I'm in the don't department.
    Yeah, it isn't all that rare. I have it too, though as a pianist it's wasted on me. It is a fun party trick: you stand in another room and people enjoy making you name keys they hit on a piano. From there it usually progresses to tapping drinking glasses and dinner plates.

On the other hand, I'm also color blind. The lord giveth...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It does occur: somm exam - YouTube
    Those guys are both in the documentary Somm. It's worth a watch, especially if you are into wine.

Hey Rip, I recently started trying to drink less shitty whiskey to see what all the fuss is about. Just bought some eagle rare and I like it but I don't taste many random flavors. But when I watch reviews of whiskey or bourbon on the internet they're always like 'wow i'm getting a hint of vanilla and caramel and blah blah.' Are they full of shit or can you actually develop sensitive enough tastes to get this much variety in a single drink?
    A less pretentious tasting:

Whiskey... - YouTube

Default Whisky/ey Meta-analysis resource

Came across this database and thought it could be useful to members of the community.

Meta-Critic Whisky Database ? Selfbuilt's Whisky Analysis

I bought a bottle of Basil Hayden recently. When I sip it, I taste notes of pencil shavings. Took me a while to identify it. I don't think I can finish that bottle. It's just wretched stuff. I might just give it to my 28 year old daughter and tell her to put it in there bar and offer it up for mixed drinks to her friends.

Never do business with either Jim Beam or Anheuser Busch.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    Yeah, it isn't all that rare. I have it too, though as a pianist it's wasted on me. It is a fun party trick: you stand in another room and people enjoy making you name keys they hit on a piano. From there it usually progresses to tapping drinking glasses and dinner plates.

On the other hand, I'm also color blind. The lord giveth...
    I have a good friend who somehow learned perfect pitch. I suppose it's possible that he has some innate aptitude for it, but he said that after a few years of jazz choir in high school he could "feel" pitch. He is also colorblind, but I've always figured that what he described was similar to how some people can tell the difference between auburn and burgundy without seeing them side-by-side.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I bought a bottle of Basil Hayden recently. When I sip it, I taste notes of pencil shavings. Took me a while to identify it. I don't think I can finish that bottle. It's just wretched stuff. I might just give it to my 28 year old daughter and tell her to put it in there bar and offer it up for mixed drinks to her friends.
    I love when people can be that specific. Another friend tasted Curad - "NOT Band-Aid!" - in his first glass of Laphroaig.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast