starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: whiskey flavor

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Stop philosophizing about whiskey, and try some vodka, for God sake!
    Can you get a quality vodka in US without spending a fortune though?

Shevkoff is very good, at about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Bad timing, Kiril.
    Promise you, It's not INSTEAD of the 5rep squat, it's just a supplement.

Igor,
    Can you get a quality vodka in US without spending a fortune though?
    I hardly know what's going on in my homeland regarding vodka, so... 40% is 40%, as long as you have no headache after the symposium.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    ...and of course, this has already been done by several people, for example this gentleman: https://whiskyanalysis.com/index.php...-introduction/
    Flavor profile is determined by a meta-analysis of reviewer lexicon?

yes. he used principal component analysis.

Shevkoff is very good, at about $30.
    Never heard about it. Brief google research suggests that it's main market is in the US. Seems like a fair price for a quality product (after adjusting it by Big Mac index xD).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril
    Igor,
    I hardly know what's going on in my homeland regarding vodka, so... 40% is 40%, as long as you have no headache after the symposium.
    That's the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I don't drink much vodka, but when I do, I usually buy Tito's. It's very smooth, but almost too sweet. What other cheap vodkas as the same grade? I ask because I simply have no idea.

Gin is pretty much just vodka with botanicals, right? Stuff like the vile Beefeater must be made with really low grade vodka. I'm pretty happy with just ordinary Tanqueray (though Wikipedia says that it's only distilled twice). I guess I'm partial to juniper berries. But I stay away from the stuff. I don't like waking up in alley ways in strange parts of town. . . .

Speaking of marketing: I've found a bunch of no-name cheap 100% agave Tequilas that are better than or just as good as over hyped Patron. But the cheap ones come in ugly plastic bottles and cost less than $20 a liter.
    Tito's is not a "Cheap" vodka, yet many refer to it as such. It's distilled 6 times which makes it higher end (and very smooth). For the price it is indeed good and this may be the real reason behind it's popularity. With the price tiers being value, economy, popular, premium, super premium, and ultra premium, Tito's is classified as super premium.

You are correct. Gin is indeed a neutral grain spirit (vodka) infused with botanicals. The popular formula is "Juniper forward" (such as Tanqueray) but times are changing. Like other categories, gin is beginning to embrace the "craft" movement by getting creative and deviating from the norm. Companies are now infusing more unique ingredients so the juniper is hardly there and replaced with something else. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is a new product we just took on called Brockman's Gin. They infuse a berry and the result is a taste that has gin undertones but a strong berry flavor on top. It's very different, but you can still taste the gin beneath it all. You don't have to be an expert to notice this. It's very straight forward.

In regards to Tequila...I'm not a fan of Patron at all. Another phenomenon is Cuervo which is total shit but somehow manages to gobble around 80% of Tequila sales in many markets. There are some great lesser known tequilas. Suerte, Corralejo, Don Ramon, Casa Noble, that are excellent and in my opinion far better than Patron or Cuervo. My absolute favorites are Casamigos and Herradura but these are pricey.

I've done blind tastings of vodka. I do not like Tito's. But I also don't like Grey Goose. It has an off taste to it that shows itself on the back of my tongue. I do not think that I have a particularly sophisticated pallet. When I buy vodka I get stolli. The only problem I have with vodka is I usually drink too much of it and get shitfaced. Dirty martinis and vodka tonics in the summertime by the pool. It's great until the next morning.
    As for Gin, I can't stand it. It smells like someone threw up a Christmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    yes. he used principal component analysis.
    I'd rather bypass reviewers altogether.

I'm imagining something like what this dude is doing: https://talesofthecocktail.com/peopl...hiskey-science

A database of the profile of flavor-molecules of various whiskeys. Then you'd need a curating-algorithm (ala Spotify) that pattern matches user taste with the profiles in the database.

It's basically a tech-driven whiskey-club.

starting strength coach development program
    Never do business with either Jim Beam or Anheuser Busch.
    How do you reconcile this position with the fact that the same company (Beam Suntory) also produces such fine spirits as The Yamazaki and Laphroaig?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast