starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength and Endurance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    You, like most people, seem to be having trouble with the null hypothesis.
    No, Cody. From my perspective of having trained these people, there is a direct relationship between getting stronger and increased endurance performance. I am not making this up. Are you calling me a liar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, Cody. From my perspective of having trained these people, there is a direct relationship between getting stronger and increased endurance performance. I am not making this up. Are you calling me a liar?
    You've trained elite distance runners?

From my perspective of having been a competitive distance runner who trained with competitive distance runners, there is an inverse relationship between increases in mass and performance.

I have no experience with distance cycling, and do not speak to cycling for that reason.

To answer your question directly - I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying your model of the strength:endurace relationship is inaccurate.

I have no experience with distance cycling, and do not speak to cycling for that reason.
    Ah. I guess we're confusededed.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    At that level, how much weight training is needed, if any, to cause an improvement in performance?
    Not much, which is what I've always said. But it's much more fun to pretend that I said we should make them all squat 500.

Ah. I guess we're confusededed.
    I mentioned elite distance runners in all of my posts, so I'm not sure where the confusion would have arisen from. Do you believe your strength:endurance model is specific to cycling or exclusive of distance running?

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post

For the guy throwing out Cavendish and others for Tour de France success, there are an overwhelming amount of successful Tour winners that did not train with weights.

A better comparison would be Cavendish in the 2015 TDF vs Cavendish in the 2016 TDF.
    But, really, earlier posters seemed to be implying that no successful endurance athletes strength train. And that's not correct.

I mentioned elite distance runners in all of my posts, so I'm not sure where the confusion would have arisen from. Do you believe your strength:endurance model is specific to cycling or exclusive of distance running?
    And what about the material in the video leads you to cite the example of elite distance runners? I said strength training benefits endurance athletes, and my 40 years experience, that of most people on this board, and my analysis informs my statement. Yours?

And what about the material in the video leads you to cite the example of elite distance runners?
    The opening lines from the video:

"So endurance is an excellent way to start because those of you that train other people are going to have to deal with runners and cyclists. What do runners and cyclists all have in common?"

Your very first reply in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    Elite runners and cyclists will not train.
    I said strength training benefits endurance athletes, and my 40 years experience, that of most people on this board, and my analysis informs my statement. Yours?
    An increase in strength comes at an opportunity cost as I explained earlier, and my time spent as a very competitive distance runner, running with other very competitive distance runners, and trained by an internationally competitive distance runner informs my earlier analysis.

I've answered your questions directly, but you've ignored mine. Have you trained elite distance runners? Do you believe your strength:endurance model is specific to cycling or exclusive of distance running?

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS ANECDOTAL

I work with a lot of "ultra" endurance athletes. Runners, tri-atheletes, cyclists, etc. In addition to my generalizations about them being tired all the time, hungry all the time, irritable all the time, and that they are emaciated, i always find it amazing how out of breath they get walking up a flight of stairs. It's as if each step is close to their 1RM, that sets of 10s or 20s (stairs) is a serious effort. Not that I'm worried about them dropping dead. Just that they seem surprisingly out of shape considering how many hours they devote to training.

I've trained runners. Elite endurance athletes will not train at a barbell gym. The strength model is applicable to every endurance athlete.

starting strength coach development program
    I've trained runners. Elite endurance athletes will not train at a barbell gym. The strength model is applicable to every endurance athlete.
    Then the answer to this:

You people seem to think that this shit is all theoretical on my end.
    Is yeah.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast