starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q's About The Denver Seminar From A New "Masters Rank Novice"

Default Q's About The Denver Seminar From A New "Masters Rank Novice"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Seriously looking at the Starting Strength Seminar in Denver and had several questions …

Quick background: I’m a 60 yr male whose been exercising and strength-training consistently over many years. Over a year ago, I got more interested in adding lean muscle, so I worked with a personal trainer for a few months and focused exclusively on weight-training and nutrition. Got some good results, but want to take this up a notch or two. So I just finished reading “The Barbell Prescription”, and have started re-jiggering my program to match the Masters Rank Novice Program (by dropping exercises, switching from 3x8-12’s to 3x5’s, adding a press, rescheduling rest days, etc.).

So … If I attend this seminar, is it a reasonable expectation that there would be at least some demonstration of novice variants that would be appropriate for someone my age? A couple examples: 1) I’m currently doing California front squats with the hope to move to at least hi-bar squats (due to screwed-up biomechanics in my left shoulder girdle) - would the hands-on squat session deal with this? 2) “The Barbell Prescription” clearly states that Power Cleans are contraindicated for someone my age - would other substitutes be demonstrated?

Sidebar … I go to alternative music festivals every year, so I’m cool with being “the oldest guy in the room”. But I am concerned about whether I’m really going to benefit from this seminar if it’s too heavily skewed to coaches-in-training and 20-40 yr gym bros.

Another angle … Practically speaking, might I benefit as much or more by investing in a solid personal trainer over, say 12-15 sessions, solely to critique and cue my lifts (leaving the programming to “The Barbell Prescription”) vs. highly-concentrated coaching over a day and a half? Please note I’m asking a “coaching frequency” question. I realize that these options don’t have to be either-or if you have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket (I don’t).

Finally, assuming the Denver Seminar is still open, is reading “The Barbell Prescription” sufficient prep relative to the two original “Starting Strength” foundational texts?

Thanks for getting this far. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

To address your questions:

Front squats of any type are not a novice variant. The squat session will get the bar on your back in the right place for you.

The power clean is not suitable for everyone, and this is addressed in the session.

The seminar is conducted at a high level, because we do not talk down to the adults. Some level of educational preparation for the weekend is required and expected, but less than half of the people in attendance will be professionals. You will get far more than your money's worth, especially since you're so close to the venue.

The seminar is 25 contact hours. How long/how many trips would it take for you to accumulate 25 contact hours with a SSC, how much lecture material would be delivered during that time, and how much would you learn vs the time and money it takes?

If you intend to train by yourself, you will need to understand programming. The books are sufficient for some people, but not most. It would be much better to read all the material first.

As of right now (see the time stamp on this post) there are 5 slots available in Denver.

Greywolf, I was 60 when I took the seminar in Brooklyn 2015. Extremely high value for cost because not only will you receive coaching during the platform sessions, but you'll see the other participants being coached so that you can absorp that information by seeing and hearing it applied to others. Highly recommended if you're serious about strength gains. The seminars are certainly not just targeted to potential SSC's or the younger crowd. I believe you'll likely find other master lifters in attendance, but frankly even if you don't the lessons apply across all age groups.

Mark, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to all my questions, as I'm sure you're quite busy. Thanks, your responses were quite helpful, especially since I do train by myself (with occasional guidance from good coaches).

Thanks, rgcone for taking the time to share your personal experience with this seminar. I'm definitely heavily weighing in your comments in my decision to go/not go.

I attended a seminar at age 61, the oldest guy there. Although there were some others in the 40-50 range. stef got my deadlift form coached in so that some months later I pulled 420 in a gym lift. This started me on several years of master raw powerlifting. Go. Well worth the money, time, and effort.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ar-report.html

Mark Hurling, really appreciate the feedback; especially your incredibly detailed Seminar Report. I had just signed up for the Denver Seminar before I circled back and saw that your left a comment. And thanks for the encouragement.

Another vote for go to the damn seminar. If you can afford it, it shouldn't even be a debate. I can't possibly think of a better investment into your future self. You will not be disappointed.

Agilic, again, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. I'm signed up for Denver.

Took the seminar about 3 weeks before my 61st birthday. Drove 380 (760 round trip) miles to Los Angeles. Was worth every minute of driving/seminar time and was well worth the money spent.

starting strength coach development program
    Go. Go. Go! To the seminar!!!

The coaches there will fine tune your lifts. I went at 50 and they helped me tremendously.

I would also strongly encourage you to signup for online coaching with Matt Reynolds and his gang of incredible coaches--like NOW. Their feedback is QUICK, accurate, and helpful. They are a hidden lifting partner that encourages you into the gym and under the bar. My lifts keep climbing with Matt and Scott from SSOC.

www.startingstrengthonlinecoaching.com

Highest recommendation possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast