starting strength gym

Thread: Article: The Profession of Barbell Coaching

Default Article: The Profession of Barbell Coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Excellent read, this has reaffirmed everything I've been thinking the past few months. I've been training for 5 years now, but only started coaching for the last year when some friends and family asked me to coach them. After a year teaching them to train I realized I wanted to pursue the SSC, but I knew just coaching friends in a basement gym wasn't enough to get me there. Fortunately Dan Flanick just opened his own gym 30 mins from me, I reached out to him for coaching and guidance towards getting the SSC. Meeting with him made we want to be a part of the SSC community even more than before. Your organization is doing a lot of good in the strength world.

Extremely important and well-written. Needed to be said just this way. Shared.

I truly wish there was a SSC gym locally. The value of coaches isn't just their ability to rapidly help novices become good or even great lifters. Coaches breed good coaches through mentoring and personal example. I want to eventually obtain the SSC credential, but I need the experience. Without a SSC gym or owning your own it isn't impossible, but it is certainly a hell of a lot harder. I'm just thankful that this organization is staffed with people who give sound information and advice so freely. Without the blue book and this site I would never have known what barbell training, correctly, looked like.

I was re-reading this article tonight (it's an important one), and this jumped out at me:

School may prepare you to learn the craft, but no school currently in existence even approximately finishes the job. An academic curriculum in Physical Education is the structured presentation of the ideas of a usually inexperienced group of professors – quite frequently a group of cyclists, runners, and badminton players – people who most often have no professional experience in barbell strength training and who seldom have any personal experience under the bar. Many of our best SSCs are self-taught, the products of their own efforts in organizing, educating, and training themselves for the task.
    This is a true thing, and I have observed that so many of our coaches are autodidacts--not just in the profession of coaching, but in many other areas.

That means something, I think.

starting strength coach development program
    I think this is one of my more important essays. And it will be completely ignored by the people who most need to understand it, i.e everybody but us.