starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Training to Failure Weaken Your Immune System?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by D in KC View Post
    What does DTFP stand for?.
    Don't Try Frying Pizza! You have to bake it, on the other hand it can also mean, Do Try Frequent Prayer! That is if all else fails. Though so far even though I have hit the wall a few times I still mange a good set or two.

If doing sets to failure caused me to get sick I'd have died of something long ago. Matt has me on AMRAPS at least once per week and the lifts are climbing. I think they help break through plateaus. I do feel like a pig in a smoker after a press AMRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    If doing sets to failure caused me to get sick I'd have died of something long ago. Matt has me on AMRAPS at least once per week and the lifts are climbing. I think they help break through plateaus. I do feel like a pig in a smoker after a press AMRAP.
    It was that "break through plateaus" concept that originally intrigued me about adding sets to failure. Everyone is different (not sure what your age is, etc.) and maybe my experience getting sick is simply a bad coincidence, but I could also see where AMRAP once a week - as opposed to once or twice every training session - wouldn't leave the body quite so beat up.

Matt has me doing AMRAPS up to the 7-8 rep range on both bench and press. I haven't done an AMRAP for squats or dead lifts--that would probably kill me. Yesterday I benched 285 1x1 and did 265 1x3. On Wednesday I pressed 190 1x4 and did a 180 AMRAP for 6. Once I get to 7-8 reps on the AMRAP I'll usually get another rep out of the higher weight (eventually getting to 5 reps) and then Matt ups the weights--rinse and repeat. He mixes and matches things up to keep my weights climbing. It's working for me. I pressed 210 two weeks ago. I'm quite sure I can press 220 now. Matt gets to call me unprintable names if I don't press 225 by the end of June. I'm on a two plate quest. I'm 50 so recovery is probably slow. Matt doesn't have me on lots of volume.

It's really easy to let Matt and Scott do all the programming and coaching. I just lift and have a good time while seeing my weights go up. Why should I worry about programing and stalling when they will do it for me?

Long time ago I followed a custom program given to me by former Mr. Universe, Mike Mentzer. It was all sets to failure. I made good novice gains but was always sore and tired. After about a month and a half, I quit since not only was I always tired, I started getting sick. It took me two months to recover from that ordeal.

Mike was an interesting guy. He gave me lots of insight on what it took to compete at such a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    Mike was an interesting guy. He gave me lots of insight on what it took to compete at such a high level.
    I'll bet he did.

To all reading : (especially the respected MDs here)

Given the topic, I thought I would request thoughts/feedback on how lifting (not to failure and no PRs) would affect (or not) recovery from viral infection (shingles). I'm a week in and rash is healing, but pain still exists in places; it has improved. Been on valacyclovir for 5 days and it seems to be doing its job in reducing the potential duration.

Location: head; right side (rash on front quarter); blisters gone now - a couple of scabs and generally looks ugly but otherwise seems much improved
    Pain began: 1 week ago; drastic reduction from 7-8; now to 2-3.
    Diagnosis-Rash appearance: ~5 days ago
    Rest: slept minimum 9 hours daily since infection; lots of rest during day (I work from home)

I was considering some light lifting today just to get some exercise, loosen up. If the wise members here have sage advice, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    To all reading : (especially the respected MDs here)

Given the topic, I thought I would request thoughts/feedback on how lifting (not to failure and no PRs) would affect (or not) recovery from viral infection (shingles). I'm a week in and rash is healing, but pain still exists in places; it has improved. Been on valacyclovir for 5 days and it seems to be doing its job in reducing the potential duration.

Location: head; right side (rash on front quarter); blisters gone now - a couple of scabs and generally looks ugly but otherwise seems much improved
    Pain began: 1 week ago; drastic reduction from 7-8; now to 2-3.
    Diagnosis-Rash appearance: ~5 days ago
    Rest: slept minimum 9 hours daily since infection; lots of rest during day (I work from home)

I was considering some light lifting today just to get some exercise, loosen up. If the wise members here have sage advice, I'm all ears.
    Not a Doc, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. (Sorry for the rash man.)

Lifting is more therapeutic than most of us realize. I have set more than one PR with a trash can in front of me because I was going to puke. If I only lifted when I felt like it I wouldn't lift much. Somehow lifting ALWAYS makes me feel better. The bar has gotten me through some very rough roads--and I mean VERY rough roads.

As far as I know, if you have a fever, or a temperature of above 37C, don't train. Better stay at home and do whatever you want, without wasting too much body resources, which are needed for your recovery.

And if training to failure is weakening your immune system, you're obviously more prone to some infections and other diseases.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Lifting is more therapeutic than most of us realize. I have set more than one PR with a trash can in front of me because I was going to puke. If I only lifted when I felt like it I wouldn't lift much. Somehow lifting ALWAYS makes me feel better. The bar has gotten me through some very rough roads--and I mean VERY rough roads.
    Yep. Listen to your body, except when it tells you not to squat. Stupid body.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast