starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Training to Failure Weaken Your Immune System?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I lifted with a fever once. Amazing DOMS afterwards, which wasn't fun when the shivering kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I lifted with a fever once. Amazing DOMS afterwards, which wasn't fun when the shivering kicked in.
    Are you a masochist? The few times I tried to train with 37 - 37.2 C, the disease just got worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Are you a masochist? The few times I tried to train with 37 - 37.2 C, the disease just got worsened.
    I said "once" :-) And yes, it made my flu worse.

This is how I learn which things to train through vs. rest -- train through everything and see what happens. Probably hiring a coach would work better...

Oh, yeah?! Well, once I squated 300# with HSV encephalopathy and a broken femur. It made "knees out" much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    [QUOTE=Kiril;1558108]Are you a masochist? The few times I tried to train with 37

Did the same thing just over a month ago with a chest cold... worst idea ever and I learned my lesson. Squat was 365x5 with 2 back-off sets at 330x5. Ended up with immediate DOMS (never had immediate before!) and then high fevers (39-40) all week long until I caved, went to the doc and he put me on a 10 day antibiotic cycle. I'm just getting back to my previous strength levels again a month later.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Did the same thing just over a month ago with a chest cold... worst idea ever and I learned my lesson. Squat was 365x5 with 2 back-off sets at 330x5. Ended up with immediate DOMS (never had immediate before!) and then high fevers (39-40) all week long until I caved, went to the doc and he put me on a 10 day antibiotic cycle. I'm just getting back to my previous strength levels again a month later.
    Well, if it was immediate, then technically it wasn't Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, now was it? I suppose it was IOMS.

You're all nuts. Seriously. Nothing is worth losing your health, and almost a life.

How about saving your wife's life?

[QUOTE=MattimusMaximus;1558851]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril
    You're all nuts. Seriously. Nothing is worth losing your health, and almost a life.
    Losing a month of progress to a bad cold/flu is what I'd expect whether or not you tried training through it. Running a fever for a week or two will cost you some muscle.
    Counter-productive yes, but "life or death" seems a bit over-dramatic.

This is assuming Pluipotent was joking about squatting with a broken femur and a brain infection of course.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How about saving your wife's life?
    If she dies, she dies!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast