starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use the alternative squat grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    I got red-lighted for a thumbless grip at a USAPL meet last month. This is likely why you don't see it much.
    I brought this up at the USAPL meeting before Raw Nationals last year. I was initially laughed at when I suggested they amend the rules. Then I was told by a few different people how I should go about getting the rules amended. All of them were very lengthy and complicated and no one was in agreement about how to get it done. Easier to start another federation where the rules can be changed when omissions or oversights are noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I brought this up at the USAPL meeting before Raw Nationals last year. I was initially laughed at when I suggested they amend the rules. Then I was told by a few different people how I should go about getting the rules amended. All of them were very lengthy and complicated and no one was in agreement about how to get it done. Easier to start another federation where the rules can be changed when omissions or oversights are noted.
    The USAPL Lifter's Handbook states that the thumbs around grip is not required, although I'm not sure how definitive the handbook is. I had no idea there was so much bureaucracy involved in this.

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    The USAPL Lifter's Handbook states that the thumbs around grip is not required, although I'm not sure how definitive the handbook is. I had no idea there was so much bureaucracy involved in this.
    The rules do not say this. The only thing the USAPL rules, which mirror the IPF rules, say about the grip in the squat is this:

The bar shall be held horizontally across the shoulders, hands and fingers gripping the bar.
    You will note this sentence has more than one interpretation, both for the the position of the bar on the body and what the fingers should be doing.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 06-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The rules do not say this.
    I was going to guess the Lifter's Handbook didn't count for much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you cannot hold your thumbs on top of the bar, you put them around the bar. If you'd rather put your thumbs around the bar, you should do so -- they are your thumbs.
    Fair enough.

Can you think of any situation trainees' should bend their wrists like Jordan and Austin do?

From what I understand some people do this to "protect their shoulders" whatever that means.

Maybe Jordan and Austin just like to bend their wrists. You got me, Matt. Grip the bar any way you want to. It's fine.

Matt-Panz I'm wondering why don't ask them personally instead? Mr Rippetoe is not some kind of totalitarian dictator that forces everybody within SS community to do things his way, or is he? Doctor Jordan has even his own subforum here. Also think about this: they both have an extensive background in human physiology, are Starting Strength Coaches and competetive powerlifters. Do you really think they need to ask for permission to do anything? So just ask them I'm sure they have a valid reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    Fair enough.

Can you think of any situation trainees' should bend their wrists like Jordan and Austin do?

From what I understand some people do this to "protect their shoulders" whatever that means.
    It just feels better on my shoulders and elbows, but this is not universally true for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it for you unless you have issues not ameliorated by coaching. The overlord, Sir Rippetoe, has allowed us to squat this way after counsel with the elders Starr, Suggs, and Anderson. You'll need permission too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It just feels better on my shoulders and elbows, but this is not universally true for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it for you unless you have issues not ameliorated by coaching. The overlord, Sir Rippetoe, has allowed us to squat this way after counsel with the elders Starr, Suggs, and Anderson. You'll need permission too.

So I was wrong after all...

starting strength coach development program
    It takes a big man to admit that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast