starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use the alternative squat grip

Default How to use the alternative squat grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip,

In your youtube video titled "A Clarification on the Squat Grip" you said that "we want tension from the hand and elbow to hold up the bar, not shoulder extension" - That makes perfect sense.

If someone uses the alternative grip however, do they lose that tension between the elbow and hand?

How can you safely use the alternative grip without supporting some of the weight on your wrists and putting too much torque on your wrist joints? -- I've heard you say dozens of times you don't want any weight supported by your hands and wrists because it hurts your elbow.

You also mentioned in the video we want the "forearms more perpendicular with the bar", and I'm not sure what that means so if someone could explain that'd be great.

I personally struggle with grip the most and it's the limiting factor often times with my heavy 5x5 sets.

I'm definitely coming to an SS seminar when I get the money saved up.

Thanks,

Matt

An alternate grip in the squat? You lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I was afraid of this answer.

Jordan Feigenbaum said on his Instagram instructional squat slideshow that he "puts his thumbs around the bar to troll Rip". Ha.

Also I'm a dummy for not initially understanding what forearms perpendicular to the bar meant, I get it now.

I suppose a better way to phrase this would be:

Does it matter if you put your thumbs around the bar as long as you don't support the weight on your hands and wrists?

Also trainees that choose to bend their wrist, do they lose the tension between elbow and hand into the bar?

I feel like if you choose to bend your wrist when you squat (Austin Baraki and Jordan Feigenbaum) the only way to hold the bar up is shoulder extension. Is that true?

My position on gripping the bar is explained in the book, and in a couple of videos on this website.

My position on gripping the bar is explained in the book, and in a couple of videos on this website.
    I understand your position & it works great for me most of the time. I'm just curious why the thumbless grip is so unpopular amongst heavy squatters that low bar squat if it's so great

Many things are popular that are less than optimum. Crystal methamphetamine is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    I understand your position & it works great for me most of the time. I'm just curious why the thumbless grip is so unpopular amongst heavy squatters that low bar squat if it's so great
    I got red-lighted for a thumbless grip at a USAPL meet last month. This is likely why you don't see it much.

starting strength coach development program
    Works so well that it's cheating.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast